Giant tent that will keep Astana warm in wintersJuly 4th, 2010 - 8:29 pm ICT by IANS
Astana, July 4 (IANS) The Kazakhstan government is mulling a new architectural wonder for Astana - a giant transparent tent that will keep this capital city warm even in the harsh winter when temperatures slump to minus 30 degrees.
The mega project is expected to be announced soon as the city celebrates its annual day Tuesday, an official announcement said.
“In the nearest time, Astana’s residents may be able to enjoy a pleasant afternoon outdoors, even in the harshest winter, by taking refuge under a 500 feet-high transparent tent,” according to the plan document.
The tent, being designed by renowned British architect Norman Foster, will have a transparent dome that absorbs and retains sunlight and maintains a near constant 15 degrees.
It will contain a “miniature city” roughly the size of 10 football stadiums.
“Underneath the dome, residents will relax around cafes, shopping centres, canals, and a nine hole golf course. Additionally, the dome will contain artificial beaches and a concert hall to seat 5,000 people,” said the document, circulated on the eve of Astana Day.
Astana became the country’s capital July 7, 1997. Located in northern central Kazakhstan, the city has witnessed a huge construction boom since then on the western bank of the Ishim river. Skyscrapers, huge apartment buildings, embassies, and a glass and steel pyramid of Palace of Peace and Accord, also designed by Foster, dot the city.
President Nursultan Nazarbayev moved the capital from Almaty to the very heart of Kazakhstan to create a world class city in the huge steppe.
Since then the government has spent $20 billion on construction.
- Kazakhstan to celebrate its president's birthday, Astana's founding in July - Jun 23, 2010
- Industrial-innovation Kazakhstan's new economic focus - Jan 28, 2012
- Kazakhstan to celebrate 20 years of independence - Dec 24, 2011
- In Central Asia, a giant 'steppe' towards 21st century city (Letter from Kazakhstan) - Oct 20, 2008
- Kazakhstan supports India's bid for permanent UNSC seat - Apr 16, 2011
- 'Best of India' exhibition opens in Almaty - Feb 27, 2010
- Support for India's bid for permanent UNSC seat growing: PM - Apr 17, 2011
- Russia, Kazakhstan extend Friendship Treaty for 10 years - Jun 08, 2012
- Indo-Kazakh ties have evolved into firm strategic partnership: PM - Apr 15, 2011
- Kazakhstan launches national superhero contest - May 17, 2012
- Suicide bomber targets Kazakh state security building - May 17, 2011
- Manmohan Singh calls for dynamic Indo-Kazakh relations - Apr 15, 2011
- Monkeys in Kazakh zoo get wine to keep warm - Feb 04, 2012
- Manmohan arrives in Kazakhstan - Apr 15, 2011
- Kazakhstan approves early presidential election - Feb 03, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,