Get ready to pay for mobile banking service from April 2011November 26th, 2010 - 10:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 26 (IANS) Get ready to pay a fee for inter-bank transactions conducted through mobile phones from April 2011, as the National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI) intends to charge lenders Rs.0.25 per transaction from the next financial year.
“NPCI will be providing services to member banks free of charge till March 31, 2011. Thereafter, a switching fee of Rs.0.25 per transaction will be levied by NPCI on member banks,” Minister of State for Finance Namo Narain Meena said Friday in a written reply in the Lok Sabha.
“Member banks may levy a fee on the customers as per the policy formulated by them,” he added.
Currently, NPCI is providing inter-bank mobile payment services free of charge to seven banks - State Bank of India, ICICI Bank, Union Bank of India, Bank of India, Yes Bank, Axis Bank and HDFC Bank.
Inter-bank mobile payment service (IMPS) allows a customer in one bank to remit funds to an account holder in another bank. Mobile phones are used as the service delivery channel.
For providing this offer, the bank needs to have authorisation from Reserve Bank of India and has to be admitted as a member of IMPS.
- Reliance Capital arm launches mobile-based payment system - Aug 09, 2012
- New system soon to book train e-tickets - Sep 14, 2012
- 'No pre-payment charge on floating rate bank loans' - Sep 06, 2011
- Airtel, Axis Bank join hands for mobile banking - May 16, 2012
- No service tax on foreign remittances: Government - Jul 10, 2012
- Now China launches 'super online banking' - Sep 01, 2010
- IATA suspends Kingfisher from two more inter-airline transaction systems (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- Bangladesh banking goes online - Apr 01, 2011
- FDIC Guide: How to balance your checking account - Dec 20, 2010
- Now, pay income tax through Union Bank ATMs - Mar 31, 2011
- Don't pay money to receive large funds from abroad: RBI - Feb 15, 2011
- India to cut export transaction costs by Rs.2,100 crore (Lead) - Feb 08, 2011
- Reliance Communications launches mobile banking with SBI - Apr 20, 2011
- Airtel ropes in Infosys for mobile wallet service - Feb 27, 2012
- 141 mn people to use mobiles for payments: Gartner - Jul 21, 2011
Tags: axis bank, bank of india, bank transactions, banking service, delivery channel, hdfc bank, icici bank, imps, india bank, lok sabha member, meena, member banks, mobile banking, mobile payment service, mobile payment services, narain, npci, reserve bank of india, state bank of india, union bank of india