Germany’s Lufthansa Strike Had Citizens Scrambling For FlightsFebruary 23rd, 2010 - 3:35 am ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
Frankfurt Germany Feb 22 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A strike by Lufthansa pilots on Monday left thousands of travelers scrambling to find some form of transportation, be it flights, trains, or rental cars, and for those who could not, they were even frantically trying to get hotel rooms.
The strike caused serious problems for 10,000 passengers around the world, and that was only the beginning. At least 800 flights were grounded, as these pilots began a four day strike over job security.
Then five different unions which represented French air traffic controllers announced that they will also begin a strike, on Tuesday, which will also last four days. This strike will cause the Charles De Gaulle and Orly airports to have to cancel hundred of flights. At least half of the flights at Orly airport, and a quarter of the flights at Charles De Gaulle will be canceled.
Although the strike in Germany has been canceled, there is no word yet as to whether the strikes in France will go ahead as scheduled. Reports say that even if the 4000 German Lufthansa pilots did halt the strike within 24 hours, it has still cost thousands of dollars to many companies. Some of the experiences of those effected can be found here.
The German Strike, which originally involved 4500 pilots over a 4 day period, will end at today’s end, and has for now, has been postponed until March 8. This should hopefully give the two side time to negotiate.
- Lufthansa to cancel 1,200 flights Friday - Sep 07, 2012
- Lufthansa strike cancels 300 flights - Sep 05, 2012
- Travel travails continue for snow-hit Europe - Dec 21, 2010
- European holiday makers' plans hit by heavy snowfall (Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- European airports struggle to clear flight backlog - Dec 22, 2010
- European economy gets hit by massive snowfall (Second Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- Lufthansa pilots launch a 4-day strike - Feb 22, 2010
- Lufthansa pilots launch four-day strike - Feb 22, 2010
- Lufthansa pilots announce four-day strike next month - Mar 22, 2010
- Lufthansa pilots suspend strike after talks - Feb 23, 2010
- Passengers stuck as volcanic ash spreads across Europe (Second lead) - Apr 16, 2010
- Lufthansa And Other Operators Suspend Operations Due To Volcanic Ash - Apr 16, 2010
- Striking pilots ground Air India fliers for second day - Apr 28, 2011
- Court steps in to normalise Air India operations (Second Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Court stays Air India pilots' strike that grounded 50 flights (Roundup) - Apr 27, 2011
Tags: air traffic controllers, charles de gaulle, citizens, experiences, flights, frankfurt germany, french air, hotel rooms, job security, lufthansa, lufthansa pilots, orly airport, orly airports, rental cars, side time, strikes, thousands of dollars, trains, travelers, unions