Gems and jewellery exports shine in 2010-11April 19th, 2011 - 5:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 19 (IANS) India’s gems and jewellery exports soared 46.89 percent to $43.14 billion in the financial year ended March 31, the sector’s representative council said Tuesday.
“India today is looked upon as one of the leading players in the global arena. The growth path will continue in coming year as well,” Rajiv Jain, chairman of the Gems and Jewellery Export Promotion Council, said.
The performance of this industry is critical as it contributes 16.67 percent of India’s total merchandise exports. The growth in the sector was primarily driven by cut and polished diamonds which registered an increase of 54.91 percent in 2010-11.
Gold jewellery exports also rose to $12.89 billion in the fiscal ended March 31, up 33.27 percent from $9.6 billion in 2009-10.
Coloured gemstone exports also increased by 9.68 percent in dollar terms, with the sector witnessing a rise from $286.78 million in 2009-10 to $314.54 million in 2010-11.
“The world is eyeing India today for trade across various sectors - be it diamonds, coloured stones or jewellery. From a trading hub in gems and jewellery, the focus is now to take India a level up in the value chain and promote the sector as a design destination globally, the focus of our new campaign,” said Jain.
The year saw United Arab Emirates emerge as the largest destination of exports, with 47 percent of exports, followed by Hong Kong with 22 percent, and the US with 11 percent.
- India's exports rise in March, trade deficit dips - May 02, 2011
- India's export surges 37.5 percent to $246 bn in 2010-11 - Apr 19, 2011
- Indian jewellery showcased at US show - Jun 02, 2012
- Invest in Indian jewellery sector: Anand Sharma - Mar 26, 2011
- Women entrepreneurs in gems and jewellery face many bottlenecks - Jul 22, 2012
- Government considering amendments to boost SEZ - Aug 23, 2012
- Anand Sharma inaugurates India Show in Switzerland - Mar 26, 2011
- Gold jewellery exports up 23.64 percent in 2008-09 - Apr 22, 2009
- India's exports rise to $29.3 billion in July - Aug 11, 2011
- India raises export target to $220 billion - Feb 12, 2011
- April exports up 34 percent, trade deficit at $8.9 bn - Jun 01, 2011
- India's exports may touch $235 billion in 2010-11 - Mar 10, 2011
- India's exports rise by 3.23 percent in April - Jun 01, 2012
- India's exports drop by 5.71 percent in March - May 01, 2012
- India's exports decline by 4.16 percent in May - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: coloured stones, diamonds, dollar terms, export promotion council, gems, gemstone, global arena, gold jewellery, growth path, hub, india today, jewellery export promotion council, jewellery exports, merchandise exports, New Delhi, rajiv jain, representative council, sectors, united arab emirates, value chain