GCC petrochemical industry poised for big growthDecember 4th, 2008 - 5:46 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Dec 4 (IANS) The petrochemical industry in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) region is poised for massive expansion aided by large investment and improved availability of feedstock, WAM reported Thursday.”The total global ethylene (a petroleum derivative) capacity is projected to be 160 million tonnes by 2012 with the GCC’s share in the market expected to grow to 15 percent in 2012 from seven percent in 2002,” Qatar’s energy minister Abdulla Bin Hamad Al-Attiyah said.
The minister was delivering his keynote address to the annual meet of the Gulf Petrochemicals and Chemicals Association (GPCA) which opened here Wednesday.
Al-Attiyah expressed his confidence in the capabilities of industry captains to help the region in overcoming the challenges facing the petrochemical industry.
“This conference is taking place at a time when the world is witnessing dramatic changes in the oil market. The oil price reached to its highest in July -August 2008 and now it is selling at below $50 per barrel,” the minister said.
The forum provides industry experts an opportunity to share key industry insights, experiences, and discuss the global economic outlook at a critical point in the chemical industry cycle.
- Abu Dhabi to host Gulf supply summit - Oct 15, 2011
- India, Qatar to hold talks: Oil, Taliban on agenda - Apr 04, 2012
- Gulf security to be focus of GCC summit - Dec 05, 2010
- UAE to host Gulf petrochemical industries meet - Oct 10, 2009
- 'India's anti-dumping move violates WTO law' - Sep 16, 2010
- Security concerns to dominate GCC summit - Dec 06, 2010
- Qatar to supply additional LNG to India - Mar 22, 2010
- Gulf Cooperation Council summit opens in Abu Dhabi - Dec 06, 2010
- Qatar's Deputy Premier meets Manmohan Singh - Mar 23, 2010
- India, Qatar deepen energy ties, seek to promote investments (News Analysis) - Apr 13, 2012
- Qatar exits GCC-initiated Yemen solution - May 13, 2011
- GCC media exhibition opened - Dec 06, 2010
- Planning Commission chief Ahluwalia to address inaugural Bahrain Global Forum - May 07, 2010
- Amid global slowdown, India, Bahrain to scale up investment - May 30, 2012
- India, Bahrain sign tax, IT pacts - May 31, 2012