Gamesa to develop two wind farms in Tamil NaduFebruary 9th, 2010 - 4:56 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Feb 9 (IANS) The euro 3.6 billion turnover Spanish wind power group Gamesa is setting up two wind farms in Tamil Nadu with a total capacity of 135 MW, said a top company official.
“We are setting up an 85-MW wind farm in Theni and 50-MW farm in Coimbatore. We will install our windmills in these farms on behalf of other investors,” Ramesh Kymal, chairman and managing director of the Spanish group’s Indian subsidiary Gamesa Wind Turbines, told reporters here Tuesday.
According to him, the Theni farm will have around 100 windmills and the Coimbatore farm around 60 units.
“The turnkey cost of installing a windmill (cost of machine and erection costs) will be around Rs.6.5 crore,” Kymal said.
Gorge Calvet Spinatsch, chairman of the Spanish group, said: “Development of wind farms is a key component of our business globally. But we will not be the utility generating the power.”
According to Kymal, Gamesa’s Rs.200-crore Indian plant near here has an annual capacity to make turbines for 500 MW, with each turbine of 850 kilowatt (kW) capacity.
The plant will be making nacelle - that houses the gear box and drive train - and the mast while turbines will be imported from Spain initially. Later, Gamesa will localise the components in a phased manner.
According to Kymal, the company has started exporting to Sri Lanka.
Queried about competition making MW class machines in India when Gamesa is still in kW stage, Kymal said: “Bigger need not be better in Indian conditions. The bigger machines should have proper spares support during the life time of the windmill. Our price per kW is competitive when compared to competition.”
- Windmill makers in Tamil Nadu accused of opaque pricing - Jun 15, 2012
- Spanish firm cuts energy deal in Brazil - Sep 14, 2012
- BHEL sets up third gas turbine in Delhi power plant - Jul 05, 2012
- NSL wins wind farm award - Feb 07, 2012
- 'Budget in right direction but short on growth incentives' - Mar 16, 2012
- Nakoda to set up wind power plant in Madhya Pradesh - Sep 02, 2010
- Suzlon's German unit wins 295 MW offshore contract - Nov 26, 2010
- Suzlon bags contract for 30 mw wind turbine in Rajasthan - Sep 03, 2010
- Siemens to invest Rs.400 crore on wind turbines in India - Nov 30, 2010
- China to build large offshore wind farm - Jan 14, 2012
- Suzlon signs pact with Australia's energy firm - Nov 25, 2009
- Shriram Leitwind to focus on exports this fiscal - Apr 25, 2009
- RRB Energy to make higher capacity wind turbines - Oct 02, 2008
- Tamil Nadu seeks central help to set up windmill projects - Jun 20, 2009
- Cuba seeks to boost alternative energy production - Jun 11, 2012
Tags: coimbatore, crore, drive train, erection costs, euro 3, indian subsidiary, kilowatt, life time, power group, rs 200, rs 6, spanish group, spanish wind, theni, wind farm, wind farms, wind power, wind turbines, windmill, windmills