Gail, Tidco to set up a JV power plant in Tamil NaduMay 11th, 2012 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 11 (IANS) The Gas Authority of India Ltd (Gail) and the Tamil Nadu Industrial Development Corporation Ltd (Tidco) would jointly promote a special purpose vehicle to set up a 500 MW liquefied natural gas (LNG) fuelled power plant at an outlay of Rs.2,000 crore, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa said Friday.
Announcing this in the state assembly Jayalalithaa said: “With the gas available through the Kochi-Bangalore pipeline a 500 MW power plant at an outlay of Rs.2,000 crore will be set up in the first phase. Over the next five years the project will be expanded involving an outlay of Rs.10,000 crore.”
Gail is laying LNG pipeline between Kochi in Kerala and Bangalore in Karnataka via Tamil Nadu. Around 310 km of pipeline will traverse through the state and Gail would supply gas for industries, vehicles and houses, she said.
The chief minister said Gail was also planning to set up a floating storage degasification unit along the coast at an outlay of Rs.2,500 crore.
Pointing out that the state is mainly dependent on coal and petroleum products for its energy needs she said the government has realised the importance of LNG in fulfilling its energy requirements.
She said the state government has signed a memorandum of understanding with the Indian Oil Corporation to set up a five million tonne per annum LNG terminal here.
Once the LNG terminal goes on stream in 2016 it would feed around 18 million cubic metre of LNG daily for power generation, industries and houses, Jayalalithaa said.
According to Jayalalithaa, the state government would form special purpose vehicles to promote industrial estates in Tuticorin, Vellore and Krishnagiri districts, besides a hub for heavy engineering industries at Ennore.
- Tamil Nadu to study LNG power project feasibility - Mar 29, 2012
- IOC to set up LNG terminal in Chennai - Mar 22, 2012
- Tamil Nadu gives tax incentives to 10 investors - Feb 26, 2011
- GSPC-led consortium wins bid for Kakinada-Bhilwara pipeline - Oct 19, 2010
- Petronet's Kochi LNG terminal to start in two months - Aug 23, 2012
- Tamil Nadu seeks Rs.3,000 crore grant, energy port - Jan 19, 2012
- GAIL to form joint venture to supply gas to Karnataka - Jun 08, 2011
- Rs.10,000 cr power plant proposal for Tamil Nadu - May 24, 2010
- Neyveli Lignite Corp to add 1,000 MW this fiscal - May 28, 2012
- Kerala signs accord with Gas Authority for pipeline network - Sep 14, 2009
- CCCL and Tidco to promote food processing SEZ - Jul 16, 2010
- Andhra inks MoUs for Rs.6.5 lakh crore investment (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Tamil Nadu to ink more investment agreements: Jayalalithaa - Apr 18, 2012
- LNG terminal capacity to be doubled at Kochi: Petroleum Secretary - Nov 22, 2010
- Kudankulam citizens to appeal to Japan PM against nuclear cooperation - Dec 28, 2011
Tags: cubic metre, energy requirements, engineering industries, gas authority of india ltd, gas lng, heavy engineering, indian oil, indian oil corporation, j jayalalithaa, krishnagiri, liquefied natural gas, lng terminal, memorandum of understanding, mw power plant, petroleum products, power generation industries, purpose vehicles, rs 2, special purpose vehicle, tidco