Fungal disease hits Himachal wheat cropMarch 30th, 2011 - 4:33 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, March 30 (IANS) A fungal disease called ‘yellow rust’ has severely affected the wheat crop in the lower hills of Himachal Pradesh, Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal admitted here Wednesday.
“Yellow rust has hit the wheat crop. Its effect was seen more acutely in 16,941 hectares,” Dhumal, who holds the agriculture portfolio, said in the assembly. He attributed the rise in fungal diseases to high humidity during winter with fluctuating temperatures.
Dhumal said the disease had also severely affected the wheat crop in northern states, including Punjab, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh.
He said the PBW-343 seed variety was more prone to the infection compared to other varieties.
“But now the disease is almost under control. From next year, the agriculture department would not disburse the PBW-343 seed variety among farmers,” Dhumal said.
Congress legislator Yog Raj said 60 percent of the wheat crop has been damaged in the state. He blamed the government for supplying substandard seeds.
The farmers of Mandi, Kangra, Una and Hamirpur districts have sown three hybrid wheat seed varieties PBW-502, PBW-343, PBW-373 this year.
- Yellow Rust hits Himachal wheat crop - Apr 04, 2012
- Cold wave damages crop in Uttar Pradesh, worries farmers - Jan 12, 2011
- Himachal seeks to rein in monkeys - Sep 21, 2011
- Stop fungal disease in crops, feed 600 million - Apr 12, 2012
- Himachal aims for 7.41 lakh tonne foodgrains - Jan 11, 2012
- To catch monkeys, Himachal dangles Rs.500 bait - Nov 03, 2011
- Himachal farmers kill monkeys to save crop - Dec 12, 2010
- Scientists uncover the mystery of a major threat to wheat - Jun 02, 2010
- Heli-taxi service planned to Himachal temple - Jul 03, 2012
- Snowfall brings respite to wheat crops in China (Lead) - Feb 11, 2011
- Himachal farmers load guns for 'Operation Monkey' - Dec 10, 2010
- In Bihar, the woes are not of farmers alone - Sep 21, 2010
- Deadly plant plague threatens wheat production in Afghanistan, India and Pakistan - Jul 31, 2009
- Shutdown hits Himachal, chief minister walks to office (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Muskmelon crop hit by viral disease in Punjab - Apr 28, 2011
Tags: agriculture department, chief minister, fungal disease, fungal diseases, hamirpur, haryana, hectares, high humidity, kangra, legislator, northern states, pbw, raj, seed varieties, seed variety, uttar pradesh, wheat crop, wheat seed, yellow rust, yog