Funds for northeast’s development approvedAugust 12th, 2011 - 12:53 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 11 (IANS) To make funds available for projects critical to the development of northeastern states, the union cabinet Thursday approved a proposal for introducing a new central sector plan scheme for the region.
Named the ‘non-lapsable central pool of resources — central’, the proposal from the development of northeastern region ministry was given a nod by the union cabinet at its meeting presided over by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
“The purpose of this proposal is to make funds available for projects which are critical to the development of the northeastern region and are in accordance with national priorities,” an official press release said here.
“The scheme, as it is envisaged, will address this issue and projects having the potential for extensive social and economic impact on the region will be taken up under the scheme,” it added.
The central pool of resources for development of northeastern region was created in 1998, which makes it mandatory for central ministries and departments, excepting some specifically exempted ones, to earmark 10 percent of their budgetary resources for specific schemes, projects, programmes in the northeastern states.
The unspent portion of the earmarked outlays accrued, at the end of the financial year, to the pool from which the expenditure of the development of northeastern region ministry, under the plan scheme of non-lapsable pool of resources, is being debited annually. Currently, the balance stand at Rs.9,217.32 crore.
- Allocation for northeast doubled to Rs.8,000 crore - Feb 28, 2011
- Cabinet approves setting up of non-lapsable fund in northeast - Feb 03, 2011
- Budgetary allocation doubled but mixed response in northeast (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Deficiencies in policy-making, implementation: CAG's audit reports - Mar 18, 2011
- VAT up in Meghalaya, alcohol costly - Mar 21, 2011
- Policy to promote textiles in northeast suggested - May 21, 2012
- No increase in passenger fairs: Mamata - Feb 25, 2011
- Telecom facilities to be raised in northeast to spur growth - Jun 18, 2012
- North Eastern Region Vision 2020 document outlines strategies for peace - Feb 26, 2009
- US to unlock unspent infrastructure funds - Aug 18, 2012
- National School of Drama to get regional centres - Mar 01, 2011
- Rural poverty alleviation project for northeast approved - Nov 16, 2011
- Mizoram holds first ever investors' summit - May 31, 2011
- Tripura to have IIIT in Bodhjungnagar - Jul 03, 2012
- 'Northeast's connectivity issue to be dealt with' - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: budgetary resources, central pool, central sector, manmohan, manmohan singh, national priorities, New Delhi, nod, northeastern region, northeastern states, outlays, Press Release, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, proposal, resources central, social and economic impact, union cabinet