Fruits, vegetable gifts from Jammu to Pakistani KashmirOctober 20th, 2008 - 7:09 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Oct 20 (IANS) As Jammu and Kashmir gets ready for cross border trade with Pakistan Tuesday, traders here, in a symbolic gesture, would be sending truck loads of fruits and vegetables as gift to people in Pakistani Kashmir.The decision to begin the trade across the Line of Control (LoC) that divides Kashmir between India and Pakistan comes after a meeting between Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in New York last month.
“It is just going to be symbolic opening (Tuesday). We will be sending about five truck loads of fruits and vegetables as gifts to people in Pakistan-administered Kashmir,” said Ram Sahai, president of the Chamber of Commerce and Industries - Jammu.
Pakistan had sought postponement of opening the trade ties from Jammu’s Poonch-Rawlakote route on the plea that it had a single union of traders and that can be present only at Muzaffarabd to receive the trucks from the Kashmir valley.
However, the Indian side did not agree to the postponement as “our official machinery will be busy with elections and the Poonch district is going to the polls in the first phase Nov 17,” Sahai said.
He said the opening of this route would be a low key affair with only local traders present to send off the trucks.
Governor N.N. Vohra will be flagging off the trucks from Uri in the Kashmir valley to Muzaffarabad, the capital of Pakistan-administered Kashmir, sources said.
- Divided Kashmir to trade after six decades (Roundup) - Oct 20, 2008
- Cross-Kashmir trade mired in problems - Dec 04, 2011
- Cross LoC trade hampered by barter system, lack of banking (With Image) - Mar 01, 2012
- Indian potatoes and tomatoes for flood ravaged Pakistan - Aug 25, 2010
- Cross-LOC trade helps outsiders more, say Jammu locals - Mar 14, 2011
- Kashmir mulls re-opening of other pre-Partition routes - Mar 31, 2011
- Home secretary reviews cross-LOC trade at Poonch - May 17, 2012
- Cross-LOC trade declining on Poonch route - Aug 27, 2012
- Trade with Pakistan on Poonch-Rawalakot route picking up - May 28, 2009
- Goodwill cargo of fruits, vegetables kicks off Poonch-Rawlakote trade - Oct 21, 2008
- First trade consignment across Kashmir border would be 'gifts' - Oct 18, 2008
- Union home secretary in Kashmir, meets Omar - May 16, 2012
- Pakistani Kashmir trade delegation arrives in Jammu - Oct 12, 2008
- Indo-Pak trade resumes on Poonch- Rawlakote route - Jun 12, 2009
- 60 years after 1948 war, India-Pakistan on trade highway to peace (Roundup) - Oct 21, 2008
Tags: asif ali zardari, capital of pakistan, fruits and vegetables, indian prime minister manmohan singh, jammu and kashmir, kashmir valley, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan singh, symbolic gesture, vegetable gifts