Fruits, milk push food inflation to 8.55 percentMay 26th, 2011 - 3:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 26 (IANS) India’s food inflation soared to 8.55 percent for the week ended May 14, the highest level in four weeks, as prices of fruits, milk and cereals rose sharply, official data showed Thursday.
The annual food inflation has risen for the first time in the last four weeks. Food inflation was 7.47 percent for the week ended May 7 and 7.7 percent in the previous week.
Fruits became 32.37 percent costlier year-on-year. Prices of cereals rose 5.03 percent and onions became 8.32 percent costlier, according to data released by the ministry of commerce and industry here.
Prices of egg, meat and fish rose 8.26 percent and milk became 5.53 percent costlier.
The index of primary articles also rose to 11.60 percent during the week under review from 10.94 percent in the previous week.
However, the fuel index, which has 14.91 percent weightage in the wholesale price index basket, declined marginally to 12.11 percent during the week ended May 14 compared to 12.21 percent in the previous week.
However, the fuel index is expected to spike after it factors in the Rs.5 per litre increase in price of petrol, effected on May 14.
The following are the yearly rise and fall in prices of some main commodities that form the sub-index for food articles:
Onions: 8.32 percent
Vegetables: (-) 1.46 percent
Fruits: 32.37 percent
Potatoes: 0.17 percent
Milk: 5.53 percent
Eggs, meat, fish: 8.26 percent
Cereals: 5.03 percent
Rice: 2.63 percent
Wheat: (-) 0.30 percent
Pulses: (-) 9.49 percent
- Food inflation falls a bit - Jun 02, 2011
- Food inflation rises to 8.31 percent - Jul 14, 2011
- Food inflation eases to 8.53 percent - May 05, 2011
- Food inflation rises marginally to 8.76 percent - Apr 28, 2011
- India's food inflation declines - Jul 21, 2011
- Food inflation rises 9.41 percent; Pranab expresses concern - Oct 07, 2011
- Food inflation rises to 9.80 percent; Pranab expresses concern - Aug 25, 2011
- Food inflation up; fruits, meat costlier - Apr 21, 2011
- Food inflation dips marginally to 9.55 percent - Sep 08, 2011
- Food inflation falls to 7.33 percent - Jul 28, 2011
- Food inflation falls to 13.07 percent - Feb 10, 2011
- India food inflation edging close to double-digit - Aug 11, 2011
- Food inflation at 10-week high; Pranab terms it unacceptable (Lead) - Jun 23, 2011
- Food inflation slips a tad to 8.96 percent - Jun 16, 2011
- Food inflation falls to 9.01 percent; will moderate further: Pranab - Nov 24, 2011
Tags: cereals, commodities, egg, eggs, food articles, fruits, fuel index, inflation, meat and fish, ministry of commerce, New Delhi, onions, petrol, potatoes, rise and fall, vegetables, weightage, wheat, wholesale, wholesale price index