Fritolay plans to increase contract farming areaMay 6th, 2010 - 9:27 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 6 (IANS) FritoLay India, the snacks food division of Pepsico, is planning to increase by about 70 percent its contract farming area in the next five years to reduce dependence on other sources for potatoes, a company official said here Thursday.
“By 2015 we will increase the contract farming area for potato cultivation to 27,000 acres from the present 16,000 acres to reduce dependence on other sources of procurement. This will involve about 40,000 farmers in the job as against 15,000 at present,” Ruchira Jaitley, executive vice-president of the company told reporters here.
The company procures about 1.6 lakh tonnes of potato per year from West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh, Jharkhand, Punjab, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Karnataka.
The size of the branded salty snacks business in the country is at present between Rs.2,500 crore and Rs.3,000 crore with an annual growth of about 30 per cent, she said.
- Pepsico to procure 80,000 tonnes of potato from Bengal - Jan 19, 2012
- Cutting sodium from potato chips by changing shape of salt cube - Apr 30, 2010
- Indra Nooyi gets a raise, makes $17 mn in 2011 - Mar 24, 2012
- Frito-Lay to invest Rs.500 crore over three years (Lead) - Jun 04, 2009
- PepsiCo to invest Rs.500 crore on new cracker - Jun 04, 2009
- Himachal to recruit 200 doctors - Mar 28, 2012
- Punjab farmers adopt direct seeding to save water, cut costs in rice cultivation - Jul 18, 2012
- Himalya International plant starts production - Apr 26, 2012
- PepsiCo names Indian-born Kumar president of Quaker Foods - Oct 06, 2009
- Reliance Infrastructure 2010-11 operating income, net profit rise - May 27, 2011
- Organic potatoes, with love, for Bihar legislators - Mar 28, 2012
- Weak rupee will hit corporate borrowers hard - Nov 22, 2011
- Reliance Infrastructure reports decline in Q1 profits - Aug 14, 2012
- Punjab potato growers to dump crop in Jalandhar - Dec 12, 2011
- Bihar's potatoes to be exported to Russia - Aug 31, 2012
Tags: contract farming, crore, dependence, executive vice, farming area, food division, fritolay, gujarat, jharkhand, maharashtra, next five years, pepsico, potato cultivation, punjab, rs 2, ruchira, salty snacks, tonnes, uttar pradesh, west bengal