Fresh onion supply pulls down wholesale price in DelhiJanuary 17th, 2011 - 7:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 17 (IANS) With the arrival of fresh stocks, onion prices in the capital’s wholesale market have dipped to Rs.13-33 per kg and are expected to go down further, traders said Monday.Onions in retail markets cost Rs.45-60 per kg.
“The wholesale prices of onion have dipped to Rs.13-33 per kg as fresh supply is arriving in the market now. The prices will see a downward trend now,” Rajan Sharma, general secretary of the Chamber of Azadpur Fruit and Vegetable Traders, told IANS.
According to Sharma, around 1,600 tonnes of fresh supply had arrived at Azadpur mandi, Asia’s biggest wholesale market of fruits and vegetables.
“Crops have been harvested in Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat. The prices will now come down in the coming week,” Sharma said.
However, the impact of fresh supply in the wholesale market is yet to be seen in the retail market where onions continued to cost between Rs.45-60 per kg.
“We are getting onions at Rs.50 per kg here. I wonder if the prices are coming down in the wholesale market, why aren’t we getting onions cheaper,” said Shail Verma, a housewife from Sarojini Nagar.
- Onion prices will dip by mid-January, say traders - Jan 03, 2011
- Onion prices to crash by mid-January (Lead) - Jan 03, 2011
- Onion traders in Delhi go on indefinite strike against raids - Jan 12, 2011
- Onions at Rs.5 per kg soon? Traders say so - Jan 13, 2011
- Delhi markets raided to check onion hoarding - Jan 10, 2011
- Tamil Nadu to retail onions, prices dip in Chennai - Dec 22, 2010
- Onions now at Rs.37.5/kg after raids on hoarders: Minister - Dec 22, 2010
- Nafed monitoring markets to check onion prices - Nov 26, 2010
- Onion cheap in wholesale market, but not at your vendor's - Dec 22, 2010
- Delhi onion traders on strike from Wednesday - Jan 11, 2011
- Onion traders call off strike after talks with Delhi Chief Minister - Jan 12, 2011
- Onion traders call off strike, prices to dip in a week (Second Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Tomatoes join high-priced onions, more supplies come from Pakistan (Intro Roundup) - Dec 24, 2010
- Peeved at raids, Delhi onion traders continue strike - Jan 12, 2011
- Onion traders in Delhi call off strike (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,