French workers take managers hostage over plant closureApril 8th, 2009 - 4:49 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, April 8 (DPA) Workers at a French factory producing industrial adhesives have taken hostage a number of executives to protest the planned closing of the site, the daily Le Progres reported Wednesday.
The standoff began Tuesday, when the representatives of management of the Scapa group, which owns the factory, travelled to the site in the south-eastern town of Bellgarde-sur-Valserine to discuss the conditions of the closure.
The factory’s 60 employees immediately went on strike in protest, and then prevented the managers from leaving. France Info radio reported Wednesday that the managers were still being held captive in the factory.
The is the latest incident of this kind, with employees of French factories belonging to Sony, Caterpillar and 3M having held executives hostage in recent weeks to attempt to avoid mass layoffs or to negotiate better severance payments.
According to a poll made public Tuesday, nearly half of all French adults approve of this tactic.
- Paris hostage drama ends peacefully - Jul 10, 2012
- Work suspended at Dunlop factory in Bengal - Apr 04, 2011
- ITC declares lockout at Nepal garments factory - Jun 16, 2011
- ITC's Nepal subsidiary closes garment unit - Aug 17, 2011
- Himachal villagers take officials hostage - Jun 22, 2011
- Four officials taken hostage by Himachal villagers freed (Lead) - Jun 23, 2011
- BJP calls shutdown in Greater Noida, other areas - May 10, 2011
- ITC not to lift Nepal lockout till 'rogue' workers are reined in - Jun 18, 2011
- Laid-off Nepal workers follow in Hazare's shoes - Sep 06, 2011
- Dunlop drops lay-off notice, asks workers to join duty - Apr 06, 2011
- Dunlop to withdraw lay-off notice at Bengal plant - Apr 05, 2011
- Strike at Nokia Siemens Networks India - Apr 09, 2012
- CMS Info Systems bags Rs.300 crore BSNL project - Feb 15, 2011
- Al Qaeda releases video of French hostages - Apr 27, 2011
- Rage is the order of the day in strike-hit France - Mar 18, 2009
Tags: 3m, adults, caterpillar, dpa, france info radio, french factories, french factory, french workers, hostage, industrial adhesives, le progres, mass layoffs, paris, plant closure, poll, scapa group, severance payments, sony, standoff, tactic