Foxconn staff in China get 66 percent pay hikeOctober 2nd, 2010 - 12:51 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Oct 2 (IANS) Electronic giant Foxconn has increased the monthly salaries of its workers in south China factory by 66 percent, raising their wages second time this year after a string of suicides by its employees.
From October, assembly workers at Shenzhen production base would get a pay rise of about 66 percent to bring salaries to 2,000 yuan (298.5 US dollars) per month, Xinhua quoted company spokesman Liu Kun as saying.
In June this year, Foxconn increased salaries by 30 percent, from 900 yuan to 1,200 yuan, for its Shenzhen employees.
“I cannot believe the company will raise salaries for a second time within a year. It means my monthly salary will double,” said Wang Xuchu, a Foxconn worker from the central Henan Province.
Foxconn, whose parent company is the Taiwan-based Hon Hai Group, makes computers, game consoles and mobile phones for companies such as Apple, Hewlett-Packard, Sony and Nokia.
A series of suicides at the company’s Shenzhen factory earlier this year prompted executives to improve conditions for workers, including hiking salaries and organising activities to boost their morale.
- No compensation if staff commits suicide: Foxconn - Jun 09, 2010
- Foxconn refutes 'sweatshop' allegation after employee suicides - May 25, 2010
- Foxconn plans to create 400,000 new jobs - Aug 19, 2010
- 10th Suicide in a Chinese Factory - May 27, 2010
- One year, 10 suicides in Chinese electronics factory - May 27, 2010
- Foxconn to shift some plants in China - Jul 08, 2010
- Another Foxconn worker falls to death in China - Nov 05, 2010
- Wage rise at Foxconn after string of suicides - Jun 02, 2010
- Foxconn workers rally to boost morale - Aug 19, 2010
- Deadly secrets of Apple's new iPhone - Jul 23, 2009
- Foxconn's Shenzen factory to increase wages by 20% in light of employee suicides - May 29, 2010
- Woman commits suicide at China Foxconn plant - Nov 25, 2011
- Chinese factory asks for a 'no suicide vow' from its employees - May 27, 2010
- Foxconn India plant shut down following toxic gas leak - Jul 25, 2010
- 2 dead, 16 injured after explosion in Foxconn factory in southwest China - May 21, 2011
Tags: assembly workers, beijing, china factory, company spokesman, game consoles, henan province, hewlett packard, liu, mobile phones, organising activities, parent company, salaries, salary, second time, shenzhen, south china, suicides, wages, xinhua, yuan