Four northeast power projects to be ready by 2012October 26th, 2008 - 8:23 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Oct 26 (IANS) Four mega power projects with a total generation capacity of 4,076 MW would be commissioned in the northeast by 2012, officials said Sunday.”The northeast would be able to supply power to the rest of India from 2012 after meeting the region’s requirement,” Jairam Ramesh, union minister of state for power, told journalists here.
The 2,000 MW capacity Lower Subansiri and 600 MW capacity Kameng hydro electric projects in Arunachal Pradesh, 750 MW Bongaigaon and 726 MW Palatana thermal power projects in Assam and Tripura respectively would generate power in the next four years, the minister said.
Ramesh Sunday visited the Palatana power project in south Tripura and held meetings with Chief Minister Manik Sarkar, Power Minister Manik Dey and senior officials and reviewed the progress of the giant power project, to be commissioned by the Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC).
He said that another power project of 104 MW capacity is now under construction at Monarchak in west Tripura by the public sector organisation North Eastern Electric Power Corporation (NEEPCO).
The Monarchak project would be commissioned by 2011.
The power minister said that he would go to Dhaka Oct 31 and request the Bangladesh government to allow India to transport heavy machineries for the Palatana power project through the waterways of that country.
- ONGC's first power project to start generation this month - Sep 03, 2012
- Northeastern India's largest power project to ease electricity woes - Nov 21, 2011
- Tripura to provide electricity in all hamlets by 2013 - Jan 23, 2012
- Tripura seeks Rs.11 bn World Bank aid to improve power scenario - Jun 21, 2011
- NEEPCO project in Tripura to run by water, thermal heat - Dec 25, 2010
- India seeks $2.5 bn World Bank aid for power projects - Jun 20, 2011
- Northeast to generate 5,000 MW more in next few years - Jul 07, 2011
- ONGC's first commercial power project to start next year - Oct 24, 2010
- Six firms keen to partner ONGC for Tripura fertilizer plant - Apr 12, 2012
- Three hydel power plants to come up in Mizoram - Jul 18, 2011
- Northeast to be power self-sufficient by 2014 - Mar 28, 2011
- ONGC's Rs.24 bn Assam project on fast track - Jul 23, 2011
- ONGC project to help end northeast's power crisis - Aug 21, 2010
- Turbines for Tripura power project being brought via Bangladesh - Mar 18, 2011
- Northeast power ministers call for gas price cut - May 07, 2011