Four-laning of Shimla-Pathankot highway gets nodSeptember 3rd, 2012 - 8:18 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Sep 3 (IANS) The central government has given its nod for executing the four-laning of the 300-km-long Shimla-Mataur-Pathankot national highway that passes through five districts of Himachal Pradesh, an official said here Monday.
The central government has included the highway under its National Highways Development Programme, said a government spokesperson.
The highway is a major contributor to the economy of the state and plays an important role for the development of tourism.
The spokesman said the main objective of the four-laning of Shimla-Mataur-Pathankot road is to reduce the time and cost of travel. Pathankot is in Punjab.
Official sources said Union Commerce Minister Anand Sharma had also raised this issue with the chairman of National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) to complete four-laning of the road on priority.
- Land acquired for four-laning of Kashmir highway - Mar 13, 2011
- On highway to Shimla? Be ready for rough ride - Aug 16, 2010
- 20-km-a-day roadmaking is a financial strain: NHAI chief - May 12, 2010
- Transfer Punjab power plant to Himachal, demands Dhumal - Jul 13, 2012
- Centre okays four-laning of Himachal highway - Oct 02, 2009
- Expanding national highways in east India vital for trade - Oct 31, 2010
- India will develop national highway linking Bangladesh - Jun 08, 2010
- Punjab to link all cities with highways - Apr 23, 2012
- Ramky Infra bags two road projects worth Rs.2,240.65 crore - Dec 01, 2011
- World Bank gives $45 million loan for improving highways - Dec 22, 2010
- Single lane highways in Uttarakhand to be double laned - Jun 22, 2012
- Badal seeks four-laning of national highway - Nov 25, 2009
- India's first RFID technology toll comes up near Chandigarh - Apr 19, 2012
- Team Anna adopting undemocratic means, says Jitin Prasada - Aug 01, 2012
- Lok Sabha clears NHAI expansion - Sep 03, 2012
Tags: anand sharma, central government, commerce minister, contributor, development of tourism, economy, government spokesperson, himachal pradesh, laning, main objective, national highway authority of india, national highways, nhai, nod, priority, spokesman