Foundation stone of Kerala’s new airport to be laid Nov 1June 23rd, 2010 - 7:10 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, June 23 (IANS) The foundation stone for the fourth international airport in Kerala would be laid at Mattanur near Kannur Nov 1, Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan said Wednesday.
A new company Kannur International Airport Limited (KIAL) has already been registered and the new Rs.1,000 crore airport would be build under a private-public initiative.
The state government’s contribution would be the value of the land that it has been acquiring for this venture since 1998.
As much as 916 acres has been acquired so far and the rest 368 acres required for the first phase of the airport would be acquired before July 15.
“By August the consultant would be selected through a bid process and on Nov 1 the foundation stone would be laid,” Achuthanandan said.
According to KIAL managing director and former civil aviation secretary V. Thulasidas, the airport would be ready for use in three years time and a study that was done earlier found that in an year after it opens close to 1.5 million passengers would use this airport and it would handle 86,000 tonnes of cargo in a year.
Kerala already has three international airports at Kochi, Kozhikode and Thiruvananthapuram.
- Foundation stone for Kannur airport to be laid Dec 17 - Nov 20, 2010
- Small investors entitled for Kannur airport equity - Oct 17, 2011
- Minister denies Kannur airport stake allotment - Dec 14, 2010
- Kannur airport nod in view of Keralites' contribution: Patel - Dec 17, 2010
- Kerala's stranded mega projects set to revive - Sep 11, 2011
- Kannur airport to begin operations in 2015 - Feb 07, 2012
- European companies make a bee line for Kannur airport - Jun 25, 2012
- Kerala cabinet clears sops for diaspora - Nov 16, 2011
- BPCL to take 21 percent stake in Kannur airport - May 04, 2012
- 'Big sharks' won't get large slices of Kannur airport: Achuthanandan - Jan 12, 2011
- Three Kerala airports to get new names - Apr 17, 2012
- Latest Kerala airport project to be expedited - Jan 20, 2009
- Achuthanandan to lay foundation stone of Kannur Cyberpark - Jan 13, 2011
- Last letter to Smart City Dubai on Kochi project: Achuthanandan - Nov 30, 2010
- Levying of user fee at new airport resented - May 11, 2010
Tags: 5 million, chief minister, civil aviation, foundation stone, international airports, june 23, kannur, kerala, kial, kozhikode, managing director, nov 1, public initiative, rs 1, state government, thiruvananthapuram, tonnes, v s achuthanandan