Fortis seeks to reassure investors as shares tumbleSeptember 26th, 2008 - 11:34 pm ICT by IANS
Brussels, Sep 26 (DPA) Belgian-Dutch banking giant Fortis was forced to deny rumours that it was experiencing liquidity problems as its shares took a battering for a fifth day in a row Friday.”We underline the solid position of the bank,” Fortis said in a statement released in Brussels and Utrecht.
“Fortis solvency is solid and well above the regulatory minimum,” the bank said, adding that its core capital stood at the end of June at an above-target level of 4 billion euros ($5.86 billion).
During early afternoon trading in Brussels, its shares were down 12 percent from Thursday’s closure, at one stage reaching their lowest level in 14 years.
Fortis ranks among Europe’s top 20 financial institutions and is part of a consortium that took over Dutch bank ABN Amro.
Speculation about its liquidity and funding has prompted rumours that it might be taken over by BNP Paribas.
The Belgian government also moved to play down concerns that Fortis might become the latest victim of the global credit crunch by appealing for calm.
“We call on financial operators to be responsible and refrain from spreading false information,” said Belgian Finance Minister Didier Reynders.
- 'Employees want ABN Amro bank to continue independently' - Sep 30, 2008
- BNP Paribas pays 14.5 bn euros for troubled Fortis - Oct 06, 2008
- Sundaram Finance to buy out BNP Paribas stakes in AMC arm - Jun 30, 2010
- EU to introduce new sanctions on Syria - Feb 06, 2012
- All of Fortis activities in Netherlands nationalised - Oct 04, 2008
- Investors' verdict on Fortis nationalisation awaited - Sep 29, 2008
- SBI teams with Geojit BNP Paribas for NRI stocks investments - Jun 04, 2012
- India, Belgium to seal railway cooperation pact - Aug 01, 2012
- EU clears Deutsche Bank's purchase of ABN Amro assets - Oct 02, 2008
- Belgian PM resigns - Apr 23, 2010
- Europe agrees to 1 trillion euro fund for new bailout plan - Oct 27, 2011
- Sundaram Finance not to enter banking or exit MF business - May 28, 2010
- 28 Belgians die in Swiss bus accident (Evening Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Geojit to lure Arab investors to Indian bourses - Jun 21, 2012
- Dutch ING Group gets $13 bn from government - Oct 20, 2008