Former co-owner of City of Angels Medical Center sentenced for fraudFebruary 23rd, 2010 - 5:10 am ICT by BNO News
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA (BNO NEWS) – The former co-owner of City of Angels Medical Center was sentenced Monday for paying illegal kickbacks for appointments of “patients,” prosecutors said.
Robert Bourseau, 75, of Los Angeles, recruited homeless individuals from Los Angeles’ “Skid Row” to make medical appointments and request unnecessary medical services, committing health care fraud.
He was sentenced to 37 months in federal prison and was ordered to pay $4.1 million in restitution for his role in the scheme that defrauded Medicare and Medi-Cal.
Several people were involved in the scheme. Bourseau and Dante Nicholson were indicted, along with Intercare Health Systems, Inc., in January 2009.
Since September 2008, Nicholson, Sabaratnam, a physician, Estill Mitts, who operated a center that recruited homeless people, and Vincent Rubio, the former chief financial officer of Tustin Hospital and Medical Center pleaded guilty to paying kickbacks for patient referrals.
In late January, Bourseau and Sabaratnam agreed to pay the United States $10 million to resolve a civil lawsuit that they defrauded Medicare and Medi-Cal.
Kickback schemes tend to “degrade the health care system all because of greed and money,” U.S. District Judge George H. King said. “Society must know that those who abuse the health care system must answer for that conduct in court,” he added.
- Miami couple sentenced for $1 million Medicare fraud - Mar 13, 2010
- 19 Indians indicted for $60 mn medical fraud in US - Aug 03, 2011
- Six Indian-Americans caught in US Medicare fraud - Feb 18, 2011
- Los Angeles, CA fugitive sentenced for Medicare fraud - Mar 26, 2010
- Indian-Americans caught in $450 mn Medicare fraud - May 03, 2012
- Indian-American doctor convicted of health care fraud - Mar 15, 2012
- Two Miami-Dade, Florida HIV-clinic owners sentenced for health care fraud - Jan 27, 2010
- Indian-American fined $10 mn for medicare fraud - Apr 09, 2010
- Feds make Medicare fraud arrests - Feb 18, 2011
- Miami resident sentenced to 22 years in prison for Medicare fraud - Jan 28, 2010
- American Female, Who Underwent Avoidable Mastectomy, To Attain $198,000 As Part Of A Resolution - Aug 11, 2010
- Indian-American doctor jailed for 8 years - Feb 26, 2011
- Raleigh, NC, man sentenced for $12.64 million health care fraud - Mar 03, 2010
- Indian American doctor gets jail for $13 mn insurance fraud - Aug 12, 2010
- Two Indian Americans plead guilty to health care fraud - Dec 12, 2009
Tags: bno, city of angels, city of angels medical center, civil lawsuit, co owner, federal prison, h king, health care fraud, health care system, health systems, homeless individuals, homeless people, illegal kickbacks, judge george, kickback, medi cal, medical appointments, patient referrals, skid row, vincent rubio