Forest fire disrupts Kalka-Shimla rail trafficApril 19th, 2010 - 10:29 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, April 19 (IANS) Traffic on the Kalka-Shimla railway line was disrupted for more than an hour Monday due to forest fire near the track, an official said.
“The traffic on the Kalka-Shimla line remained disrupted for more than an hour due to forest fire near Parwanoo,” Station Superintendent J.S. Rajput told IANS.
He said the fire was noticed around 1 p.m. and the Himalayan Queen was halted for an hour. The train left the Kalka station for Shimla at 12.10 p.m.
“Other schduled trains on the track were also affected due to halting of the Himalayan Queen. However, now the rail traffic has been normalised,” he added.
Five trains run to and from daily on the 96-km long narrow gauge Kalka-Shimla railroad.
Unesco included the 30-inch gauge Kalka-Shimla rail line in the list of World Heritage sites July 7 last. The scenic journey along the rail line from 640 metres above sea level at Kalka to Shimla at 2,060 metres attracts a large number of tourists.
- Train services resume on Kalka-Shimla track - Sep 24, 2010
- Himachal's 108-year-old heritage railway station gutted (Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Landslides snap rail traffic in Himachal - Sep 23, 2010
- Rail traffic restored on Kalka-Shimla track (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- Fire destroys 108-year-old railway station - May 03, 2011
- Rail engine derails in Himachal Pradesh - Jul 01, 2010
- Kalka-Shimla track gets holiday special toy train - Dec 23, 2010
- Special Kalka-Shimla trains start for New Year - Dec 27, 2009
- Holiday special trains on Kalka-Shimla track stopped - Jul 09, 2009
- Love on track - on Kalka-Shimla train - Apr 29, 2010
- 'Bring Shimla's last heritage train back on track' (Letter from Shimla) (With Image) - Aug 12, 2012
- Sixth train on Kalka-Shimla track - Apr 25, 2011
- Trains back on Kalka-Shimla world heritage railway - Sep 26, 2008
- Trains back on Kalka-Shimla railway line - Dec 22, 2008
- Youth killed in freak accident in Himachal - Jun 21, 2009