Foreign trade policy to be reviewed MondayAugust 20th, 2010 - 6:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 20 (IANS) Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma will Monday announce annual supplement to the foreign trade policy amid slower growth in exports that might force the government to lower its $200 billion exports target.
India’s exports growth fell to 13.2 percent in July against 30.4 percent recorded in the previous month. This is the slowest growth in India’s exports in the last six months.
Exports growth has declined mainly because of lower demand of Indian leather, handicrafts and readymade garments in the US and European markets.
Exports bodies, especially apparel and leather exporters, are demanding financial and regulatory support from the government.
In their meeting with Textile Minister Dayanidhi Maran last week, Apparel Export Promotion Council demanded reduction in duties and faster implementation of Indo-EU free trade agreement, council spokesman told IANS Friday.
According to the Apparel Export Promotion Council estimate, Indo-EU free trade agreement might lead to additional apparel exports of $1.3 billion annually. The government has set a target of $12 billion apparel exports during current fiscal.
Total exports target for 2010-11 is set at $200 billion. Commerce Secretary Rahul Khullar said recently that $200 billion target could be achieved only if exports grow by at least 15 percent for the rest of the year.
- India's exports up 22.5 percent; trade deficit widens - Sep 15, 2010
- Govt announces Rs.1,050 crore sops for exporters (Lead) - Aug 23, 2010
- India's trade gap widens to $13 bn in July as exports drop - Aug 17, 2010
- Govt announces Rs.1,050 crore sops for exporters - Aug 23, 2010
- India surpasses $300 billion exports target - Apr 19, 2012
- Export growth slows to 10.8 percent in October; deficit widens - Nov 08, 2011
- India's exports rise by 3.2 percent in April year-on-year - May 10, 2012
- India's exports rose 6.71 percent to $25 bn in December - Feb 01, 2012
- India's exports rise 6.7 percent in December - Jan 16, 2012
- India's exports may touch $235 billion in 2010-11 - Mar 10, 2011
- Steps to boost Indian apparel exports on anvil - Aug 07, 2012
- Exports up 44.2 percent in August; deficit widens to $14.1 bn - Sep 09, 2011
- India's exports up 10.1 percent to $25.4 bn in January - Feb 09, 2012
- Government measures will help boost exports: Industry - Jun 05, 2012
- Stimulus package will help achieve $200 bn exports target - Aug 23, 2010
Tags: anand sharma, apparel export promotion council, apparel exports, commerce secretary, dayanidhi maran, european markets, export promotion council, free trade agreement, indian leather, indo, industry minister, leather exporters, leather handicrafts, New Delhi, rahul, readymade garments, regulatory support, six months, spokesman, target india