Foreign, domestic tourism rises in IndiaJuly 3rd, 2012 - 10:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 3 (IANS) The number of foreign tourists visiting India increased for the third consecutive year in 2011 while domestic tourism too has been witnessing double digit growth, the tourism ministry said Tuesday.
“During 2011, the number of Foreign Tourist Visits (FTVs) to Indian states/union territories was 19.5 million as compared to 17.9 million in 2010 and 14.4 million in 2009,” said a statement by the ministry.
“This year, the number of FTVs registered a growth of 8.85 percent over 2010 as compared to a growth of 24.6 percent in 2010 over 2009,” it added.
Domestic tourism continued to grow at a double digit rate in 2011.
“Number of domestic tourist visits during 2011 was 851 million as compared to 748 million in 2010 and 669 million in 2009 increasing at a rate of 13.8 percent over 2010 as compared to increase of 11.8 percent in 2010 over 2009.”
Uttar Pradesh dislodged Andhra Pradesh from the number one spot in terms of domestic tourist visits in 2011. Andhra Pradesh was followed by Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Maharashtra.
As far as foreign tourists were concerned, Maharashtra topped the chart followed by Tamil Nadu, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan.
- Foreign tourist arrivals up 24 pc - Jul 18, 2011
- 5.6 lakh tourists visited India in October - Nov 08, 2011
- Himachal records 16 percent rise in tourist arrivals - Jan 04, 2011
- Foreign tourist arrivals dip in India - Aug 12, 2010
- Over 5.5 mn tourists visited India in 2010 - Feb 25, 2011
- In 2010, Goa received tourists twice its population - Feb 12, 2011
- Himachal records 16 percent increase in tourists - Jan 10, 2011
- Seven percent increase in foreign tourists in March - Apr 08, 2011
- Foreign exchange earnings from tourism surge 50 percent - Feb 06, 2012
- Foreign tourist arrivals on the rise in India - Jul 10, 2012
- 'Clean India' campaign to boost tourism - Dec 20, 2011
- Taj to set up resort hotel near Shimla - Feb 18, 2011
- India to focus on building tourism infrastructure: Minister - Sep 09, 2011
- Mexico's tourism activity grows - Aug 15, 2012
- This April saw 18 percent more tourists than last - May 06, 2011
Tags: 5 million, domestic tourism, domestic tourist, double digit growth, indian states, karnataka, New Delhi, rajasthan, third consecutive year, tourism ministry, tourist visits, tourists, union territories, visiting india