Ford’s small car for India by 2010June 19th, 2008 - 5:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 19 (IANS) The US automobile giant Ford Motor Co proposes to launch its small car for the Indian market by 2010 and will set up a new unit soon to manufacture engines, top officials said Thursday. “Small car segment holds 75 percent in Indian market and when we launch the small car that’s when the real volumes will come in,” Ford India managing director and president Michael Boneham told IANS at the launch of the company’s new car.
He also said Ford’s new engine manufacturing facility will be set up in 2009-10 with a capacity of 250,000 units per year. “The plant will fulfill the entire domestic demand and will also cater to the needs for ford in the Asia Pacific region.”
The company also launched a new sports variant of the mid-sized sedan here Thursday - the Fiesta S that clocks 0-100 km in 11 seconds. Also launched was an upgraded SXI variant of the Fiesta featuring new front grille and head lamps.
Boneham said the company has now increased the warranty for all its cars to two years or 40,000 km to two years or 100,000 km, whichever was logged first.
Fiesta SXI will be priced at Rs.700,000 and Rs.814,000 for the petrol and the diesel variants, respectively, in Delhi. Fiesta S will come with a price tag of Rs.715,000.
Boneham said that the mid-sized sedan, since its launch in the country two-and-a-half years ago, and has sold more than 65,000 units.
The company, however, had a 19 percent fall in sales during 2007-08, which he attributed to the sluggish Indian auto industry in the last financial year.
- Ford launches two new variants of Fiesta sedan - Jul 14, 2011
- Nissan launches mid-size sedan Sunny - Sep 20, 2011
- Automaker Ford India launches new fiesta - Jun 19, 2008
- Ford to invest $72 mn to expand engine plant - May 17, 2011
- Ford mulls fresh investments, plant expansion in India - Apr 07, 2011
- Nissan launches diesel variant of mid-size sedan Sunny - Dec 12, 2011
- Maruti Suzuki launches SX4's diesel variant - Feb 22, 2011
- Honda launches new variant of City sedan - Dec 14, 2011
- Ford's August sales up nine percent - Sep 01, 2011
- Ford India to benefit from economies of scale - Sep 20, 2011
- Skoda starts production of entry-level sedan Rapid - Oct 07, 2011
- Ford India to export Eco Sport; offers petrol, diesel versions - Jul 17, 2012
- Ford records growth in February sales - Mar 01, 2011
- Ford launches small car Figo with four variants - Mar 09, 2010
- Nissan studying India's small car segment - Sep 26, 2011
Tags: asia pacific region, automobile, car segment, fiesta, ford india, ford motor, ford motor co, head lamps, indian auto industry, launch, managing director, new car, New Delhi, new sports, petrol, price tag, small car, sxi, two and a half years, variants