Ford Motor Recalls 4.5 Million Vehicles: Largest In Company’s HistoryOctober 14th, 2009 - 6:02 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar,
Detroit, October 14, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Ford Motor has declared a recall of 4.5 million cars from the market. As stated by the sources, the cars have been recalled from the market for their faulty switches in cruise control which might lead to dangerous fire hazards in the vehicle. Texas Instruments had manufactured the switches responsible for this recall. This is not the first time that Ford Motor has declared recall of cars. However, in Ford Motor’s history this is the largest recall declared by them. With this recall the total number of cars Ford recalled till the present days reaches to 16 million. The vehicles that have been recalled by Ford were manufactured within the period of 1992 to 2003.
According to the sources, the vehicles recalled by Ford Motor are of Windstar, Mercury and Lincoln model. Sources also stated that 1.1 million minivans need some repairing for fire risk and so they were recalled. It was stated that 3.4 million vehicles of the other two models would be recalled for the same reason. The sources stated the SUVs and trucks of Mercury and Lincoln will be mostly recalled. NHTSA in a statement stated that these faulty switches can cause hydraulic fluid leekage which can lead to overheating, smoking and ultimately burning of the vehicle. This can happen even when there is no ignition and the car is parked.
Wes Sherwood, the spokesperson for Ford Motors stated that the government and the company have determined that Windsor minivans have some risks of catching fire. She stated that the company decided to recall 3.4 million vehicles of other models as they were having switches made by Texas Instrument.
- Ford recall 2009 affects 4.5 million vehicles - Oct 14, 2009
- Ford recalls 490,000 vehicles over safety flaws - Jan 12, 2012
- Ford recalls 4.5 mn vehicles citing fire hazard: Report - Oct 14, 2009
- Ford recalls 1.19 mn pick-ups - Apr 15, 2011
- Ford recalls 1.2 million F 150 pickup - Apr 15, 2011
- US authorities demand more information on Toyota recalls - Feb 17, 2010
- Volkswagen Recalls 16,000 Routan Minivans - Jun 13, 2010
- Ford recalls over 460,000 mini vans - Aug 28, 2010
- Honda to recall 1,400 cars in South Korea - Sep 14, 2011
- Ford India recalls over 1.28 lakh cars for faulty components - Aug 13, 2012
- Ford recalls over 128,000 vehicles in US - Dec 10, 2011
- Chrysler's New Recall Of Almost 700,000 Jeeps And Minivans Likely To Diminish Consumer Faith - Jun 08, 2010
- BMW issues recall on 198,000 vehicles in U.S. over brake problems - Oct 01, 2010
- Ford to recall 33,256 vehicles over 'front seat' issue - Apr 25, 2010
- Mazda Issues Recall for 215,000 Cars Due To Loss of Power Steering - Aug 19, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,