Ford India to raise localisation levelsApril 22nd, 2009 - 5:46 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, April 22 (IANS) Auto major Ford India is adopting a multi-pronged strategy to expand its market share, including raising the local content of its vehicles, expanding the dealer and service centre networks and entering new segments, company officials said Wednesday.
“We have current set of products and are moving into new segments in which we are not present now,” Michael Boneham, president and managing director of Ford India, told reporters at a company plant at Maraimalai Nagar near here.
He added that the company would expand its dealership and service centre networks to the tier II and III cities and invest $500 million for expanding capacity.
As part of cutting costs, Ford India is now outsourcing the aluminium cylinder blocks from the Pune-based Jai Hind instead of importing them from Europe.
“The local content in our Ikon and Fiesta models are 90 percent and 85 percent respectively,” said Nigel E. Wark, the company’s executive director (marketing, sales and service).
The company has also launched Quick Service concept in its dealership outlets, under which vehicles will be serviced and given back within one hour.
“The concept has been implemented in 24 dealership outlets located in Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Delhi and Chennai. We will expand this to other dealerships as well,” Wark said.
Later, Boneham flagged off the 20,000-km Ikon cross-country drive, organised jointly by Ford and Autocar India.
He said the journey would thoroughly test the vehicle as it would traverse different kinds of Indian roads, while touching 26 state capitals and three union territories in 46 days.
During the first quarter of 2009 the company sold around 7,500 units.
- Cess on diesel vehicles regressive: Ford India - Feb 16, 2012
- Ford mulls fresh investments, plant expansion in India - Apr 07, 2011
- Ford India to invest Rs.750 crore in Chennai plant - Jan 20, 2012
- Ford India to export Figo to Asia-Pacific markets - Jul 05, 2010
- Ford India's total sales grew in October - Nov 01, 2011
- Ford India to benefit from economies of scale - Sep 20, 2011
- Ford's August sales up nine percent - Sep 01, 2011
- Ford India expands distribution network - Feb 16, 2010
- Ford to export Figo to Mexico, Middle East, North Africa - Mar 09, 2011
- Ford launches small car Figo with four variants - Mar 09, 2010
- Ford launches two new variants of Fiesta sedan - Jul 14, 2011
- Ford India to export Eco Sport; offers petrol, diesel versions - Jul 17, 2012
- Ford India closes 2010 selling 83,887 units - Jan 01, 2011
- Hyundai, Ford close 2010 with higher sales (Lead) - Jan 01, 2011
- Ford India's January sales zoom over four times - Feb 01, 2011
Tags: autocar india, company officials, cross country drive, cylinder blocks, different kinds, director marketing, ford india, hyderabad, indian roads, jai, local content, managing director, market share, marketing sales, pronged strategy, pune, segments, state capitals, tier ii, union territories