Ford India to export Figo, engines to South AfricaFebruary 5th, 2010 - 6:31 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Feb 5 (IANS) The Indian arm of global auto maker Ford Motor will shortly commence exports of its small car Figo and diesel and petrol engines to South Africa and Association of South East Asian Nations (Asean) countries, the company said Friday.
“We will be shipping out fully built Figo and engines (diesel and petrol) to South Africa and Asean countries,” said Ford India president and managing director Michael Boneham after inauguration of the company’s new engine plant near here.
“The actual volumes will depend on the demand in the domestic as well as overseas markets,” he added.
At the same time, Boneham admitted that the Indian subsidiary is not profitable.
The new engine plant, with an annual production capacity of 250,000 units, is part of Ford India’s $500 million expansion project, which included doubling of its existing car production capacity to 200,000 units annually.
“Major portion of the investment outlay that was announced has been made. The remaining portion will be invested shortly,” Boneham added.
He said the local component content in petrol and diesel engines will be 60 percent and 80 percent respectively.
The flexible production line can make 1.2 litre, 1.4 litre and 1.6 litre petrol and diesel engines, with a continuous mixed flow and not batch built. The plant can make up to ten types of engines.
With the launch of Figo and plans to launch a new model every 12 or 18 months, Boneham expects the capacity utilisation to go up from the last year’s levels of 30 percent.
With a capacity of 100,000 units Ford India rolled out 30,000 units in 2009.
Figo, to compete against the likes of Swift and i20, will be commercially launched next month.
- Ford to invest $72 mn to expand engine plant - May 17, 2011
- Ford India to benefit from economies of scale - Sep 20, 2011
- Ford India to export Eco Sport; offers petrol, diesel versions - Jul 17, 2012
- Ford mulls fresh investments, plant expansion in India - Apr 07, 2011
- Ford India exports engines to Thailand, Figo to S. Africa - Jun 11, 2010
- Ford India to export Figo to Asia-Pacific markets - Jul 05, 2010
- Ford launches small car Figo with four variants - Mar 09, 2010
- Ford to export Figo to Mexico, Middle East, North Africa - Mar 09, 2011
- Cess on diesel vehicles regressive: Ford India - Feb 16, 2012
- Ford's Figo crosses one lakh-sales mark - Jul 01, 2011
- Ford India expects 10 percent sales growth - May 22, 2012
- Tamil Nadu to have investment policy for auto sector - Feb 05, 2010
- General Motors targets 40 percent volume growth in 2011 - Feb 14, 2011
- Ford India to expand Figo's export market - Nov 02, 2010
- India to become hub for small engines for Ford - Jun 15, 2010
Tags: asean countries, association of south east asian nations, auto maker, car production, diesel engines, east asian nations, expansion project, flexible production, ford india, ford motor, global auto, indian arm, indian subsidiary, investment outlay, launch, mixed flow, overseas markets, petrol engines, small car, south east asian