Ford India exports engines to Thailand, Figo to S. AfricaJune 11th, 2010 - 7:27 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 11 (IANS) Ford India, the Indian arm of the American automobile manufacturer Ford Motor Company, has started shipping out diesel and petrol engines to Thailand and the fully built Figo small car to South Africa, a top company official said Friday.
“We have recently started exporting diesel and petrol engines to Thailand. The monthly demand there is around 3,000 units. It is difficult to comment on the future volumes as it depends on the demand in the Thailand market as well as other markets the Thailand plant serves,” Ford India President and Managing Director Michael Boneham told reporters here.
“While we are exporting Figo model to South Africa, new overseas markets are being explored,” he said.
Boneham said the company will start a second shift at its Maraimalai Nagar plant near here as Figo is logging good volumes.
“With the second shift the production capacity will go up to 140,000 units. The additional production will bring down the waiting time for Figo. We will be increasing the headcount in the plant by 1,000,” he added.
According to him, the company had booked orders for around 21,000 Figos and delivered around 16,000 units till date.
About the market response to Figo, he said: “The good response is due to an overall package - price and cost of ownership in terms of fuel economy, cost of parts.”
He said 60 percent of Figo sales comprise of diesel engines.
On holding on to the price line given the increase in input costs, he said: “It is going to be tough. We will look at the competition and decide.”
In the first five months of this calendar year, Ford India has crossed the total production of around 30,000 units it had reported in 2009, Boneham said.
- Ford India to export Eco Sport; offers petrol, diesel versions - Jul 17, 2012
- Ford India to benefit from economies of scale - Sep 20, 2011
- Ford India to export Figo to Asia-Pacific markets - Jul 05, 2010
- Ford mulls fresh investments, plant expansion in India - Apr 07, 2011
- Ford to invest $72 mn to expand engine plant - May 17, 2011
- India to become hub for small engines for Ford - Jun 15, 2010
- Ford India expects 10 percent sales growth - May 22, 2012
- Ford India to expand Figo's export market - Nov 02, 2010
- Ford India to export Figo, engines to South Africa - Feb 05, 2010
- Ford launches small car Figo with four variants - Mar 09, 2010
- Ford to export Figo to Mexico, Middle East, North Africa - Mar 09, 2011
- Ford's Figo crosses one lakh-sales mark - Jul 01, 2011
- Ford India logs sales growth in June - Jul 01, 2011
- Ford India to invest Rs.750 crore in Chennai plant - Jan 20, 2012
- Ford's August sales up nine percent - Sep 01, 2011
Tags: american automobile manufacturer, cost of ownership, diesel engines, figo, figos, five months, ford india, ford motor, ford motor company, fuel economy, headcount, india exports, indian arm, input costs, market response, overseas markets, petrol engines, small car, thailand market, waiting time