Food inflation rises to 9.13 percentSeptember 29th, 2011 - 1:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 29 (IANS) India’s food inflation rose to 9.13 percent for the week ended Sep 17 as compared to 8.84 percent in the previous week as prices of vegetables and pulses remained on the higher side, official data showed Thursday.
The primary articles index, which has a 20.12 percent weight in the wholesale price index, rose by 11.43 in the week under review as compared to 12.17 percent in the previous week, according to data released by the commerce and industry ministry.
However, the rise in the index of fuel and power accelerated to 14.69 percent during the week under review as compared to 13.96 percent in the previous week.
The index for non-food articles rose at a much slower rate of 12.89 percent during the week ended Sep 10 as compared to 17.42 percent in the previous week.
With food inflation again rising to over 9 percent, after a slip last week, the government will have to look at easing supply side bottlenecks as the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will not be able to hike rates significantly after it tightened monetary policy earlier this month.
The RBI in the 12th such exercise since January 2010 to tame stubborn inflation had hiked key rates by 25 basis points.
Despite the aggressive monetary tightening by the central bank, inflation has remained stubbornly high. Annual inflation rate for August, based on the wholesale price index, was seen inching closer towards double-digits at 9.78 percent.
The following are the yearly rise and fall in prices under review of some main commodities that form the sub-index for food articles:
Onions: 17.04 percent
Vegetables: 11.98 percent
Fruits: 12.47 percent
Potatoes: 14.91 percent
Eggs, meat, fish: 13.17 percent
Cereals: 3.83 percent
Rice: 3.48 percent
Wheat: (-) 2.67 percent
Pulses: 4.86 percent
- Food inflation drops to 8.84 percent - Sep 22, 2011
- Food inflation rises to 9.80 percent; Pranab expresses concern - Aug 25, 2011
- Food inflation slips marginally, still above comfort level - Oct 13, 2011
- India's food inflation declines further, still in double digits - Nov 17, 2011
- Food inflation falls to 9.01 percent; will moderate further: Pranab - Nov 24, 2011
- Food inflation soars, crosses double-digits - Oct 20, 2011
- Rising inflation due to festive season demand: Mukherjee - Nov 03, 2011
- Food inflation rises 9.41 percent; Pranab expresses concern - Oct 07, 2011
- Food inflation dips marginally - Nov 11, 2011
- Inflation rises to 7.55 percent in August - Sep 14, 2012
- Food inflation in double-digits for second straight week - Oct 27, 2011
- Inflation falls to 6.89 percent in March - Apr 16, 2012
- Food inflation drops for the second week - Jul 07, 2011
- Food inflation soars to 'disturbing' level of 10.05 percent - Sep 01, 2011
- Retail inflation rises to 10.3 percent in August - Sep 18, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,