Food inflation drops for the second weekJuly 7th, 2011 - 2:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 7 (IANS) Food inflation declined for the second week in a row to 7.61 percent for the week ended June 25 from 7.78 percent in the previous week as vegetables and pulses became cheaper, official data showed Thursday.
The food inflation had declined sharply to 7.78 percent for the week ended June 18 after surging to a two-month high of 9.13 percent in the previous week.
Vegetables became cheaper by 8.74 percent and prices of pulses declined 9.01 percent year-on-year in the week under review.
The primary articles index declined to 11.56 percent for the week ended June 25 from 11.84 percent in the previous week and 12.62 percent two weeks ago, according to data released by the ministry of commerce and industry.
The index for fuels and power, which has 14.91 percent weight in the wholesale price index, also declined to 12.67 percent for the week under review from 12.98 percent in the previous week.
The decline in food inflation could come as a respite to consumers and policymakers. The Reserve Bank of India has adopted an aggressive monetary tightening policy to curb inflationary pressure. However, inflation remains much above the comfort level despite the 10-time rate hike in the last 15 months by the central bank.
The headline inflation based on wholesale prices rose to 9.06 percent in May.
The following are the yearly rise and fall in prices of some main commodities that form the sub-index for food articles:
Onions: 21.24 percent
Vegetables: (-) 8.74 percent
Fruits: 22.74 percent
Potatoes: (-) 2.13 percent
Eggs, meat, fish: 10.12 percent
Cereals: 4.26 percent
Rice: 1.52 percent
Wheat: 0.42 percent
Pulses: (-) 9.01 percent
- Food inflation falls to 8 percent; to drop further: Pranab (Lead) - Dec 01, 2011
- Food inflation falls to 8 percent - Dec 01, 2011
- Food inflation falls to 7.33 percent - Jul 28, 2011
- Food inflation declines to 9.03 percent - Aug 18, 2011
- Food inflation falls to 39-month low of 6.6 percent - Dec 08, 2011
- Food inflation falls to 9.01 percent; will moderate further: Pranab - Nov 24, 2011
- Food inflation rises to 9.13 percent - Sep 29, 2011
- Food inflation dips to six-year low, relief for consumer (Second Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Food inflation dips to 0.42 percent; WPI may fall to 6 percent: Pranab (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Food inflation rises to 8.31 percent - Jul 14, 2011
- Food inflation continues in the negative - Jan 12, 2012
- Food inflation soars to 'disturbing' level of 10.05 percent - Sep 01, 2011
- Food inflation is down sharply - Jun 30, 2011
- Fruits, milk push food inflation to 8.55 percent - May 26, 2011
- Food inflation up; fruits, meat costlier - Apr 21, 2011
Tags: 15 months, articles index, bank of india, cereals, commodities, food articles, headline inflation, inflationary pressure, ministry of commerce, New Delhi, onions, potatoes, pulses, rate hike, reserve bank of india, respite, rise and fall, time rate, wholesale price index, wholesale prices