Food inflation declines to 9.03 percentAugust 18th, 2011 - 2:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 18 (IANS) India’s annual food inflation declined to 9.03 percent for the week ended Aug 6, as compared to 9.9 percent in the previous week, with vegetables, eggs, meat and fish prices growing at a slower pace, official data showed Thursday.
Food inflation spiked in the previous two weeks mainly because of a sharp increase in the prices of vegetables and fruits.
Prices of vegetables, which had risen 14.61 percent in the previous week, increased at a slower pace of 2.59 percent during the week under review. Prices of eggs, meat and fish also increased at a slower rate of 9.93 percent for the week ended Aug 6 as compared to 13.44 in the previous week.
The primary articles index, which has 20.12 percent weight in the wholesale price index, also rose at a slower pace of 11.64 percent for the week under review as compared to 12.22 percent in the previous week, according to data released by the commerce and industry ministry.
The index for fuels and power, which has a 14.91 percent weight in the wholesale price index, rose 13.13 percent during the week under review from 12.19 percent in the previous week.
The headline inflation based on wholesale price index declined marginally to 9.22 percent in July, the lowest level in eight months, from 9.44 percent in the previous month, according to official data released early this week.
The following are the yearly rise and fall in prices of some main commodities that form the sub-index for food articles:
Onions: 37.62 percent
Vegetables: 2.59 percent
Fruits: 26.46 percent
Potatoes: 7.22 percent
Eggs, meat, fish: 9.93 percent
Cereals: 6.23 percent
Rice: 5.58 percent
Wheat: 0.59 percent
Pulses: (-) 5.63 percent
- Food inflation falls to 7.33 percent - Jul 28, 2011
- Food inflation slips marginally, still above comfort level - Oct 13, 2011
- Food inflation rises to 9.13 percent - Sep 29, 2011
- India's annual food inflation rises after brief lull - Aug 04, 2011
- Food inflation falls to 39-month low of 6.6 percent - Dec 08, 2011
- Food inflation dips to six-year low, relief for consumer (Second Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Food inflation dips to 0.42 percent; WPI may fall to 6 percent: Pranab (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Food inflation falls to 9.01 percent; will moderate further: Pranab - Nov 24, 2011
- Food inflation in double-digits for second straight week - Oct 27, 2011
- India's food inflation declines - Jul 21, 2011
- Food inflation soars, crosses double-digits - Oct 20, 2011
- Food inflation continues in the negative - Jan 12, 2012
- Retail inflation eases to 9.86 percent in July - Aug 21, 2012
- India's food inflation declines further, still in double digits - Nov 17, 2011
- Food inflation dips to 0.42 percent - Dec 29, 2011
Tags: articles index, cereals, commodities, eggs, eight months, fish prices, food articles, headline inflation, industry ministry, inflation declines, meat and fish, New Delhi, onions, potatoes, rise and fall, rose 13, slower pace, vegetables and fruits, wheat, wholesale price index