Food grain reserve sought in Madhya Pradesh (Lead)April 25th, 2010 - 2:57 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, April 25 (IANS) Faced with surplus wheat production and lack of storage space, the Madhya Pradesh government has sought the central government’s assistance to develop a strategic grain reserve in the state, official sources said Sunday.
In a letter written to Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar Saturday, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan said record rabi production has not only put extra pressure on procurement and storage agencies purchasing wheat on minimum support prices but also led to shortage of space for the storage of food grain.
He said the central location of Madhya Pradesh makes it the ideal place for National Food Grain Strategic Reserve in the country. He urged that all necessary help be provided to the state for developing it.
Reminding about the agreement between the central and state governments which envisages depositing surplus procured wheat in the central pool, Chouhan said the union food and civil supplies ministry and the Food Corporation of India should accept surplus wheat without delay.
The chief minister said that since there was shortage of space to store the wheat procured in large quantity in Madhya Pradesh, it was necessary to send the surplus wheat to other states through the central pool.
- National Food Grain Reserve sought in Madhya Pradesh - Apr 25, 2010
- Centre arranging gunny bags for Madhya Pradesh - May 10, 2012
- Meet to discuss Rabi wheat procurement - Feb 16, 2012
- Punjab seeks PM's intervention on food grain storage - Apr 06, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana procure record 200 lakh tonnes of wheat - May 11, 2012
- Wheat storage crunch in three states - Sep 05, 2011
- Prepare for record wheat procurement, states told - Feb 21, 2012
- Government to export two million tonnes wheat - Jul 04, 2012
- Where to stock bumper harvest? Punjab, Haryana in quandary - May 17, 2012
- India won't be able to store another bumper crop - Apr 15, 2012
- Punjab wants central government to allow wheat export - May 19, 2012
- Foodgrain pile up scare in Punjab - Apr 04, 2012
- Punjab seeks PM intervention on procurement - Feb 02, 2011
- Punjab to get 50 lakh tonnes storage capacity - May 06, 2011
- Grow more grains, Pawar tells states - Feb 08, 2012
Tags: agriculture minister, central government, central location, central pool, chief minister, extra pressure, food corporation of india, food grain, madhya pradesh government, national food, procurement, sharad pawar, state governments, storage space, surplus wheat, union food, wheat production