Food Corporation gets Rs.5,000 crore loanMarch 29th, 2011 - 8:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 29 (IANS) The government Tuesday approved a short-term loan of Rs.5,000 crore to the Food Corporation of India (FCI) to help the state-run foodgrain procurement agency meet its cash requirements during the current fiscal.
The decision was taken at a meeting of the cabinet committee on economic affairs here.
“The interest rate payable will be equivalent to 364 days treasury bills considering a repayment schedule of equivalent period,” said an official statement.
The FCI will repay the loan during the next financial year.
The food procurement and distribution agency normally gets a working capital loan, called the cash credit limit, worth Rs.34,495 crore from a consortium of banks.
The government said FCI had exhausted the current fiscal’s working capital and providing it a short-term loan would work out cheaper than increasing the sanction amount through the cash credit limit, which would allow the agency to borrow more from lending institutions but at a higher interest rate of 10.06 percent.
- Cabinet releases Rs.10,091 crore for crop loan subsidies - Sep 06, 2012
- Low loan offtake affecting infrastructure, says IDFC - Nov 23, 2011
- Small home loan borrowers to get 1 percent interest subsidy - Oct 25, 2011
- Air India's turnaround plan approved (Roundup) - Apr 12, 2012
- S&P; cuts Tata Steel outlook to negative - Jul 26, 2012
- Food corporation's subsidy rose to 35 percent in 2010-11: Thomas - Aug 23, 2011
- India continues to face inflation, cause for concern: Mukherjee - Feb 28, 2011
- FCI releases performance report - Oct 21, 2011
- Rs.4,868 crore compensation to public sector banks - Jul 30, 2010
- Air India seeks long-term convertion of loans - May 20, 2011
- Record food production in 2010-11, says president - Mar 12, 2012
- Cabinet nod for continuing farmers' loan scheme - Sep 06, 2012
- Agriculture reform at heart of Pranab's budget - Feb 28, 2011
- Assam farmers losing interest in rice cultivation - Mar 15, 2012
- Farmer suicides spark Bengal political storm (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jan 22, 2012
Tags: banks, cabinet committee, capital loan, consortium, distribution agency, economic affairs, food corporation of india, food corporation of india fci, food procurement, interest rate, lending institutions, New Delhi, procurement agency, repayment schedule, sanction, short term loan, treasury bills, working capital, worth rs