Food Corporation gets Rs.5,000 crore loanMarch 29th, 2011 - 8:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 29 (IANS) The government Tuesday approved a short-term loan of Rs.5,000 crore to the Food Corporation of India (FCI) to help the state-run foodgrain procurement agency meet its cash requirements during the current fiscal.
The decision was taken at a meeting of the cabinet committee on economic affairs here.
“The interest rate payable will be equivalent to 364 days treasury bills considering a repayment schedule of equivalent period,” said an official statement.
The FCI will repay the loan during the next financial year.
The food procurement and distribution agency normally gets a working capital loan, called the cash credit limit, worth Rs.34,495 crore from a consortium of banks.
The government said FCI had exhausted the current fiscal’s working capital and providing it a short-term loan would work out cheaper than increasing the sanction amount through the cash credit limit, which would allow the agency to borrow more from lending institutions but at a higher interest rate of 10.06 percent.
- Cabinet releases Rs.10,091 crore for crop loan subsidies - Sep 06, 2012
- Low loan offtake affecting infrastructure, says IDFC - Nov 23, 2011
- Small home loan borrowers to get 1 percent interest subsidy - Oct 25, 2011
- Air India's turnaround plan approved (Roundup) - Apr 12, 2012
- S&P; cuts Tata Steel outlook to negative - Jul 26, 2012
- Food corporation's subsidy rose to 35 percent in 2010-11: Thomas - Aug 23, 2011
- India continues to face inflation, cause for concern: Mukherjee - Feb 28, 2011
- FCI releases performance report - Oct 21, 2011
- Rs.4,868 crore compensation to public sector banks - Jul 30, 2010
- Air India seeks long-term convertion of loans - May 20, 2011
- Record food production in 2010-11, says president - Mar 12, 2012
- Cabinet nod for continuing farmers' loan scheme - Sep 06, 2012
- Agriculture reform at heart of Pranab's budget - Feb 28, 2011
- Assam farmers losing interest in rice cultivation - Mar 15, 2012
- Farmer suicides spark Bengal political storm (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jan 22, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,