Focus on mechanisation to deal with farm labour shortageOctober 20th, 2011 - 8:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 20 (IANS) In order to deal with shortage of farm labour, which shifts to a rural job plan during the sowing season, the agriculture ministry is focusing on mechanisation in the Twelfth Five Year Plan 2012-17.
“There is pressure of Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS) on farm labour during sowing season,” said a senior official of the agriculture ministry.
“We are focusing on mechanisation of the farm sector to deal with this problem in the Twelfth Five Year Plan,” he said.
Agriculture ministry sources said farm labour usually shifts to MGNREGS during the sowing season as it gets better wages under the rural job plan.
“This is a good trend. We have no problem with the poor people benefiting. The answer is mechanisation of farm operations to deal with labour shortage and push the farm sector,” he said.
Under MGNREGS, minimum wages of Rs.100 per day are assured to unskilled labour for a period of 100 days in a year.
Sources said the agriculture ministry is now attempting to utilise MGNREGS for augmenting activities that directly add to farm productivity to deal with scarcity of labour.
Earlier, it had asked the rural development ministry to suspend MGNREGS during the kharif sowing season to deal with farm labour shortage. But the proposal was turned down by the rural development ministry.
With the rabi (winter) sowing season on, the agriculture ministry is expecting food production to surpass the record 241 million tonnes achieved in financial year 2010-11.
To achieve this objective, the ministry has asked the states to substantially expand the rabi crop area.
Backed by a good monsoon this year, the first advance estimates of kharif (summer) crop indicate that production of rice in the country should reach 87 million tonnes, an all time high, the officials added.
- No loss to farmers due to rural job scheme: Pawar - Aug 12, 2011
- Rural ministry refuses to suspend rural jobs scheme - Aug 14, 2011
- Rural job scheme causing farm labour shortage: Study - Feb 12, 2012
- Meet on winter crop strategy in Delhi - Sep 20, 2012
- Plans to meet pulses shortfall: Officials - Sep 26, 2011
- Plan to tackle kharif crop deficit needed: Government - Sep 07, 2009
- Scanty rains to affect food production: Pawar - Jul 16, 2012
- Food production may surpass target: Pawar - Sep 14, 2011
- Karnataka draws action plan for drought-hit (Second Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- 'Extend rural job scheme to urban areas' - Mar 15, 2012
- Government to plan rabi crop strategy - Sep 13, 2011
- Monsoon situation not serious, rain will pick up: Pawar (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Monsoon delayed but situation not worrisome: Pawar (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Bumper rabi crop will ease inflation: Minister - Feb 13, 2010
- Jairam Ramesh launches women empowerment scheme in Kerala - Feb 24, 2012
Tags: advance estimates, agriculture ministry, crop area, days in a year, development ministry, farm labour, farm operations, farm sector, food production, guarantee scheme, labour shortage, mahatma gandhi, mechanisation, minimum wages, ministry sources, rabi crop, rural development, summer crop, unskilled labour, winter sowing