Flying car soon to become realityJuly 1st, 2010 - 12:34 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 1 (IANS) A car which can fly if caught in a traffic jam is soon to become a reality as the US aviation authority has given its nod for commercial production of “ligth sport” aircraft.
The aircraft “Terrafugia Transition”, which requires 1,700-feet runway to take off, will be the smallest aeroplane with a maximum weight of 1,320 lb (about 600 kg).
The two-seater Transition can use its front-wheel to drive on roads, with wings folded, while it can take off from an adequately sized piece of flat land with the help of rear-facing propellor, unfolding electrically powered wings, The Telegraph reported.
Its cruising speed in the air is 115 mph (185 kph) with a range of 460 miles (735 km) , and it can carry 450 lb.
The US Federal Aviation Administration has granted special exemption to the vehicle, allowing it to be classified as a light sport aircraft despite being 120 lb over the limit.
Light sport aircraft licences require just 20 hours’ flying time, making them much easier to obtain than full private licences.
The manufacturer of the aircraft Terrafugia says that one of the major advantages of the Transition over ordinary light aircraft is safety. In the event of inclement weather, it can simply drive home instead of either being grounded or flying in unsafe conditions.
According to the company, 70 people have already booked the car, with a deposit money of $10,000 each. The car is expected to cost $194,000.
- Terrafugia Transition 'flying car' gets go-ahead from US air authorities - Jun 29, 2010
- World's first flying car gets green signal to take-off (Lead, changing dateline) - Jul 01, 2010
- Britons may soon fly cars! - Jul 19, 2011
- Flying Car Terrafugia Transition Gets FAA Nod - Jun 30, 2010
- Flying car takes off successfully - Mar 19, 2009
- FDA approves flying car - Jun 30, 2010
- World's first flying car may soar the skies by 2011 - Nov 14, 2009
- Flying car to take off this year - Jan 23, 2009
- World's first flying car takes test flights - Mar 25, 2009
- Terrafugia Transition gets US approval - Jul 19, 2011
- Flying car to be unveiled in 2011 (With Image) - Jun 24, 2009
- Flying Maruti car at AeroIndia this year - Feb 01, 2011
- Flying car successfully test-flown - Aug 02, 2009
- US firm to develop flying cars for military - Dec 01, 2010
- India test flies naval variant of LCA (Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,