Flood may cost Thai economy nearly $2 bnOctober 10th, 2011 - 5:08 pm ICT by IANS
Bangkok, Oct 10 (IANS) The Bank of Thailand (BOT) estimated that economic damages from nationwide flood could amount to 60 billion baht ($1.94 billion).
However, the Office of the National Economic and Social Development Board (NESDB) estimated the losses at 80-90 billion baht ($2.58-2.9 billion), reported Xinhua.
Finance Minister Thirachai Phuvanatnaranubala said Monday that the BOT has estimated economic damages from nationwide flooding at about 60 billion baht or 0.6 percent of gross domestic product (GDP), the Bangkok Post website reported.
The BOT presented its assessment to a meeting of related agencies following the continuous, massive flooding.
Meanwhile, the NESDB issued a report with a bleaker estimation saying that nationwide flood could incur economic loss of 80-90 billion baht or 0.9 percent of the GDP.
“This is the only initial estimates of damages from the flooding since more impacts are still to come. But I don’t think the damages would be higher than the NESDB’s estimate of 80-90 billion baht,” the Bangkok Post quoted the minister as saying.
Since late July, almost one-third of the country has been facing flood and landslide caused by tropical storms and monsoon rain. Currently, some 30 provinces out of total 77 in central, northern and northeastern regions are still suffering from flood which left at least 261 people dead and over 2.3 million affected.
- Thailand approves $648.5 million post-flood budget - Dec 08, 2011
- China warns of floods, rains as millions face misery - Jun 20, 2011
- Report: Thai floods to downgrade country's economic growth by 1.2 percent - Nov 26, 2011
- 10 confirmed dead in China storms - Aug 12, 2012
- $8 bn loan for Thai businesses - Oct 25, 2011
- Russia lowers budget deficit target for 2012 - Apr 25, 2012
- Spain's unemployment rate edges up - Jul 28, 2012
- Thai computer hard drive industry hit by floods - Nov 22, 2011
- Floods impacted Pakistan's GDP - Oct 20, 2011
- Russia lowers 2012 budget deficit forecast - Apr 22, 2012
- Sensex closes flat on reforms worries (Roundup) - Mar 07, 2012
- German budget deficit in 2011 lower than expected - Jan 13, 2012
- Sensex down 168 points - Aug 03, 2012
- 5,300 jobless after Thai floods hit 20,000 firms - Nov 06, 2011
- Rainstorms in China leave 18 dead - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,