Floating barricades around Jammu lake to protect birdsNovember 27th, 2009 - 4:18 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Nov 27 (IANS) The wildlife department in Jammu and Kashmir will lay floating barricades around Surinsar lake to protect migratory birds, a minister said here Friday.
“This is aimed at preserving the sensitive ecosystem of Surinsar lake,” said state Tourism Minister Nawang Rigzin Jora.
Surinsar lake, about 40 km north of Jammu, is one of the tourist attractions in the region. It is considered a sister lake of the bigger Mansar lake, about 60 km from here.
The tourism ministry has also set up Mansar-Surinsar Development Authority (MSDA), to develop infrastructure in the areas adjoining the lakes.
Jora said the construction of view decks and fencing around the lake will be done by the wildlife department, as the land comes under it.
Jora said that the state government has earmarked Rs.20 crore for undertaking development works by the MSDA.
The tourism department has also made a comprehensive plan to de-weed the lake, he said.
A proposal to consider the viability of operating boats in the lake for pleasure rides was also considered in the minister’s meeting with state officials. The move is expected to generate employment and give a fillip to the economy of the region.
- Rock climbing wall inaugurated in Srinagar - Sep 05, 2012
- Preparations begin for Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 21, 2012
- 'Record tourist arrival in Kashmir is peace dividend' - Mar 26, 2012
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Jammu and Kashmir to promote adventure tourism - May 28, 2011
- Record tourist arrival is peace dividend : Kashmir minister - Mar 27, 2012
- Motor rally to boost adventure tourism - Jun 25, 2010
- 'Rich tourist infrastructure necessary for J-K tourism sector's development' - Apr 17, 2011
- Chidambaram to meet Omar Abdullah - Oct 31, 2010
- Wetland near Jammu set to come on eco-tourism map - Dec 27, 2011
- Ladakh indeed has worst sex ratio, says census office - Apr 27, 2011
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- Now, a magazine for adventure tourism buffs - May 18, 2012
- Gulmarg rated Asia's seventh best ski resort - Nov 26, 2010
Tags: barricades, crore, fencing, fillip, jora, kashmir, migratory birds, msda, pleasure rides, sensitive ecosystem, sister lake, state government, state officials, state tourism, tourism department, tourism minister, tourism ministry, tourist attractions, viability, wildlife department