Flights diverted, repairs on at Goa runway (Lead)October 27th, 2010 - 7:56 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Oct 27 (IANS) Three flights, including a chartered plane, were diverted from the Goa airport Wednesday due to an oil spill on the runway, an official said.
A tanker carrying 6,000 litres of aviation fuel had Saturday night overturned on the runway of the airport which is run by the Indian Navy. Navy officials say the runway would be fully operational only by Friday.
Dabolim airport director D. Paul Manickam said repair work was on at the runway and the oil spill had reduced its length from 11,000 ft to 6,900 ft.
“Three flights were diverted in the morning. After the spillage on the runway, repair work is still going on, which has reduced its length. The visibility was also not good,” the senior Airport Authority of India (AAI) official said.
The three flights were a Qatar Airways flight from Doha to Goa carrying 127 passengers, which was diverted to Bangalore; a Jet Airways flight from Mumbai to Goa that was sent back to Mumbai; and an Amsterdam to Goa chartered flight carrying 324 passengers that was diverted to Colombo, Sri Lanka.
Airport sources said the pilots decided against landing the planes at the Goa airport for safety considerations.
“The reduced declared distance however has put restrictions on bigger aircraft, including the Boeing 747,” a statement issued by the naval authorities said.
- Three flights diverted from Goa due to runway repairs - Oct 27, 2010
- Navy cuts sorties to allow civilian traffic at Goa airport - Oct 28, 2010
- Repairs restrict use of Goa airport runway (Lead) - Apr 12, 2011
- Goa airport runway cut down for five hours a day - Apr 12, 2011
- Close shave for 250 as bird hits plane in Goa - Nov 11, 2010
- Kingfisher flight makes emergency landing at Goa airport - Oct 24, 2011
- No safety norms violated in Goa: Kingfisher Airlines - Apr 13, 2011
- Dabolim airport will not be shut for civilians: Parrikar - Jul 19, 2012
- Nietzsche quote on terror alarm pamphlet - Dec 07, 2011
- Front tyres of Air India plane burst, no casualties - Sep 06, 2011
- One flight cancelled, two delayed in Agartala - Sep 29, 2010
- Major plane accident averted in Chennai - Sep 24, 2011
- Dutch flight to Colombo suffers bird hit in Goa - Oct 27, 2011
- Fireman as ATC! Tirupati airport officials to face action - Feb 03, 2012
- Plane removed, operations resume at Mumbai airport runway - Sep 05, 2011
Tags: airport authority of india, airport authority of india aai, airport director, aviation fuel, boeing 747, chartered flight, chartered plane, colombo sri lanka, colombo sri lanka airport, dabolim airport, doha, goa, indian navy, jet airways, naval authorities, navy officials, oil spill, qatar airways flight, safety considerations, spillage