Flats for 43,000 low-income Mumbai families plannedJune 2nd, 2009 - 7:17 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 2 (IANS) The city’s development authorities and a leading realtor will construct a rental housing project for about 43,000 low-income families, it was announced Tuesday.
The Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) and Housing Development and Infrastructure Ltd (HDIL) will construct approximately 43,000 units over 525 acres at Virar here.
The self-contained units, with a carpet area of 160 square feet each, will be in 14-storey buildings.
The 56-million square feet project will come up in four phases and is expected to be completed by 2015. The first 10,000 units will be ready by March 2011.
“The rental housing project is in line with the state government’s policy of facilitating housing in urban areas for the low-income and economically weaker sections, and shelter for the poorest of the poor,” said MMRDA commissioner Ratnakar Gaikwad.
Added HDIL managing director Sarang Wadhawan: “The benefit of such schemes is not just affordable housing, but a transformation in the minds of people and communities, through enhanced possibilities for education, income generation and better health for residents.”
HDIL will construct the units free of cost.
MMRDA will also develop four-lane roads from the highway and a skywalk from Virar station to the site, regular water supply, electricity and other off-site infrastructural back-up.
“We are already working closely with the MMRDA for the Mumbai International Airport Urban Rehabilitation Scheme. We will rehabilitate the first 20,000 families, out of 80,000 families, under the scheme by December 2009,” Wadhawan said.
- A move to decongest Mumbai: 133,00 flats in periphery - Jun 02, 2009
- Maharashtra to build 200,000 rental homes - Mar 13, 2010
- Feasibility study for new Mumbai suburban rail corridors - Jan 13, 2012
- 'Mumbai mega infra-projects to be completed by 2013' - Mar 07, 2012
- Maharashtra largesse for slum-dwellers, house-seekers - Jan 03, 2012
- Mumbai's urban tunnel to be ready by January 2013 - Aug 24, 2012
- Rs.2,300 crore Cyber City announced in Kerala - Feb 17, 2011
- Tough year for realty, no respite seen in short-run (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 29, 2011
- Beijing home prices drop by 11 percent - Jan 16, 2012
- Mumbai airport access route to be decongested soon - May 14, 2010
- Realty sector sore with union budget - Mar 16, 2012
- 500,000 rental homes to check slum growth in Mumbai - Aug 30, 2008
- Fast rail corridor to ease Mumbai commuters' woes - Mar 14, 2012
- 'Structural failure of launching girder led to Mumbai bridge crash' - Jul 20, 2012
- Central minister lauds Mumbai's rental housing scheme - Aug 31, 2008
Tags: better health, carpet area, development authorities, education income, hdil, housing development, housing project, income generation, infrastructure ltd, lane roads, low income families, metropolitan region, mmrda, sarang, self contained units, skywalk, storey buildings, supply electricity, urban rehabilitation, virar