Five killed in Himachal factory fireJune 3rd, 2009 - 1:59 pm ICT by IANS
Nalagarh (Himachal Pradesh), June 3 (IANS) Five people, including two fire brigade personnel, were killed in a fire that broke out in a factory in this Himachal Pradesh town Wednesday, police said.
At least four workers of the factory, which made electrical appliances, were missing and a police officer feared that if they were trapped inside the premises they would be dead.
The “fire broke out in the factory named Advantec group in the wee hours Wednesday. Fire tenders were called from the neighbouring towns of Baddi, Parwanoo and even from Ropar town in Punjab,” Sumedha Dwivedi, senior superintendent of police (Baddi), told IANS.
“According to confirmed reports, five persons have been killed that include two fire brigade officials,” who were buried after a wall collapse while controlling the flames, Dwivedi said.
“The other three dead are factory workers who were there on the night shift,” she said.
Nalagarh town, an industrial hub of Himachal Pradesh, is around 60 km from union territory of Chandigarh.
The fire was brought under control by noon Wednesday but the police officer said flames were still billowing out of the basement area.
Fire fighters “are facing difficulty due to the presence of combustible material and highly inflammable gases,” Dwivedi said.
- Five dead in Himachal factory fire (Lead) - Jun 03, 2009
- Nine killed in Himachal factory fire, rescue operation over - Jun 04, 2009
- Eight killed in Himachal factory fire (Second Lead) - Jun 03, 2009
- Eight killed in Himachal factory fire, probe ordered (Third Lead) - Jun 04, 2009
- Fire breaks out in Himachal's chemical factory - Jul 07, 2011
- Ten killed in Delhi factory fire, Dikshit orders probe (Third Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Two killed in factory fire in Andhra Pradesh - Aug 15, 2012
- Five charred to death, 20 injured in factory fire near Solan - Jun 03, 2009
- 100 die in Pakistan as two factories go up in flames (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Shutdown hits commercial life in Himachal (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- 45 killed in factory fires in Pakistan (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Fire in Kolkata factory, no casualties (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Ten killed in Delhi factory fire, Dikshit orders probe (Second Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Two killed in fire at Andhra pharma factory - Dec 19, 2011
- 10 people killed in Delhi factory fire (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
Tags: basement area, electrical appliances, factory fire, fire brigade, fire fighters, fire tenders, flames, himachal pradesh, industrial hub, inflammable gases, june 3, neighbouring towns, night shift, parwanoo, police officer, premises, sumedha, union territory of chandigarh, wall collapse, wee hours