Five farmers commit suicide in VidarbhaSeptember 2nd, 2011 - 3:45 pm ICT by IANS
Nagpur, Sep 2 (IANS) With five cotton growers committing suicide Thursday, a total of 507 farmers have killed themselves during 2011 alone in Vidarbha region of Maharashtra, an NGO fighting for farmers’ rights said Friday.
The dead were identified as Mohan Raut from Ghazipur in Yavatmal district, Raju Tembhare from Sakur in Yavatmal district, Sharavan Chichghate from Bhindi in Wardha district, Vijay Gomase from Akoli in Wardha district and Laxman Pathode from Dongargaon in Chandrapur district.
“They (farmers) have been demanding a hike in minimum support price (MSP) of cotton to Rs.6,000 per quintal as against the ongoing Rs.3,300 per quintal,” said Kishor Tiwari of Vidarbha Jan Andolan Samiti (VJAS).
As many as 51 farmers committed suicide during the month of August alone.
Farmers have also been demanding lifting of the ban on cotton export.
“We demand a hike in cotton MSP and urgent relief of food security, fresh crop loan disbursement and healthcare services,” Tiwari said.
Tiwari’s VJAS has been documenting Vidarbha farm suicides since 1997.
- Seven more Vidarbha farmers commit suicide in last 48 hours - Sep 08, 2011
- Vidharba farmers protest Chavan's 'peanuts' bailout package - Dec 15, 2011
- Lift cotton export ban, demand Vidarbha farmers - Feb 27, 2011
- Economist Kelkar to meet Vidarbha farmers - Apr 05, 2012
- Farmers' suicides: Parliamentary panel to visit Vidarbha Friday - Mar 01, 2012
- Six more Vidarbha farmers commit suicides, says NGO - Jul 01, 2012
- Cotton farmers' stir intensifies in Maharashtra - Nov 16, 2011
- Four more farmers commit suicide in Vidarbha - Sep 08, 2012
- Five more farmers commit suicides in Vidarbha - May 01, 2012
- Cotton farmers protest against proposed bailout package - Nov 23, 2011
- Economist Vijay Kelkar visits crisis-ridden Vidarbha - Apr 06, 2012
- Farmers threaten to 'donate' govt aid to Maoists! - Dec 18, 2011
- Parliamentary panel meets Vidarbha farmers - Mar 02, 2012
- Cotton farmers' stir continues in Maharashtra - Nov 17, 2011
- Treat farmer suicides as murders, demands Vidarbha outfit - Dec 29, 2010
Tags: andolan, bhindi, committing suicide, cotton growers, farmers, food security, ghazipur, healthcare services, loan disbursement, mohan, month of august, msp, nagpur, ngo, quintal, raut, rs 6, sakur, suicides, vjas