Fisherman dies as boat collides with dredgerJuly 12th, 2008 - 10:29 pm ICT by IANS
Rameswaram (Tamil Nadu), July 12 (IANS) A fisherman was killed and two others were injured when their boat collided with a dredger off the Tamil Nadu coast early Saturday, officials said. The accident took place off Tuticorin coast in the Palk Strait, about 700 km south of Chennai. Several fishermen are reported missing.
The boat, from Nagapattinam district, sank immediately.
The dredger was engaged in excavating for the Sethusamudram shipping canal project.
Rescue teams have reached the site and the injured have been taken to the hospital, Coast Guard officials said.
- Take strong stand against Sri Lanka: Jayalalithaa urges PM - Nov 07, 2011
- Awaiting envoy's report on Indian fisherman's killing: Krishna - Jul 19, 2012
- India should assert with Sri Lanka: Jayalalithaa - Nov 16, 2011
- Tidal waves continue to slam Andhra coast - Dec 29, 2011
- No clue of missing fishermen or hit and run ship - Mar 02, 2012
- India asks Sri Lanka to free fishermen - Jul 26, 2012
- Sri Lanka arrests 23 Indian fishermen - Jun 21, 2011
- Take up fishermen harassment issue with Sri Lankan government: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Prime Minister asked to take up fishermen arrest issue with Sri Lanka - Jul 23, 2012
- Sri Lanka Navy harassing Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Two fishermen dead, two hurt in collision off Kerala coast - Mar 01, 2012
- India hopeful fishermen captured by Sri Lanka will be released - Jul 24, 2012
- 23 Indian fishermen released by Sri Lanka: Krishna - Jul 27, 2012
- Indian fisherman killed by Sri Lankan Navy - Jul 08, 2010
- Tragedy strikes Kerala waters again, two killed (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012