Fish in Kerala to get dearer as trawling ban begins June 16June 10th, 2009 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, June 10 (IANS) Fish will become costlier in Kerala as the state enforces an annual trawling ban in the sea up to 12 nautical miles from the coast for 47 days starting June 16.
Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan Wednesday said no mechanized boats that will be allowed to fish in the sea till July 31. Boats without engines is allowed to fish during the ban.
“The ban will end on July 31 and until then all those working in mechanized boats, peeling sheds and harbours would get free ration. We have set aside Rs.5 million for this,” Achuthanandan said.
The ban was first introduced in 1988 with the aim of conserving marine life as the monsoon is the spawning season for many varieties of fish, including shrimp.
“As of now itself fish prices have reached sky high and with the ban it would become even more expensive. In the previous years we used to stock fish which would see us through till the ban gets over. But this time I just cannot do that and will have to go without fish,” said P. John, 75, a retired professor.
Fish is a major item for many Malayali families and till recently was cheaper compared to meat.
The government also has announced that the moratorium on loans extended to the fishing community would be extended till Nov 1.
- Kerala's trawling ban begins June 15; fish to be dearer - May 30, 2011
- Kerala's 47-day trawling ban begins Friday - Jun 13, 2012
- Fish to get dearer with trawling ban ahead - May 26, 2010
- Kerala bans mechanised fishing along its costs - Jun 15, 2009
- Test your nerves against sport fish in Himachal - Mar 11, 2012
- No fish will be left to catch, expert warns Bangladesh - Feb 01, 2011
- Goa extends fishing ban so fish stays on plate - Aug 04, 2012
- Orissa bans fishing near turtle nesting sites - Nov 01, 2011
- Man on board M.V.Prabhu Daya missing - Mar 04, 2012
- Judicial custody of Italian marines extended till May 11 - Apr 30, 2012
- Singapore ship suspected in Kerala boat accident - Mar 04, 2012
- Probe report on boat hit-and-run likely Thursday - Mar 07, 2012
- M.V. Prabhu Daya crew charged in fishing boat ramming - Mar 07, 2012
- Indian fishermen to be freed soon: Sri Lanka - Jun 23, 2011
- Kerala fishermen's daily tryst with danger - Feb 20, 2012
Tags: 5 million, aim, boats, chief minister, fish in the sea, fish prices, fishing community, harbours, kerala, loans, monsoon, moratorium, nautical miles, nov 1, previous years, professor fish, sheds, shrimp, thiruvananthapuram, v s achuthanandan