First session of Gulf Cooperation Council summit endsDecember 7th, 2010 - 3:12 am ICT by IANS
Abu Dhabi, Dec 7 (IANS/WAM) Leaders of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) discussed political, economic, security and military issues Monday night in the first session of the 31st GCC Summit being held here in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
The draft closing statement of the two-day summit was also discussed. The leaders will resume the summit Tuesday at the Emirates Palace.
Earlier, the summit was inaugurated at the palace Monday evening by UAE President Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
The six GCC states - Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar and the UAE - are expected to reiterate the regional security as a top policy priority, which has been a major concern to them since the establishment of the GCC in May 1981.
Addressing the opening session, the Amir of Kuwait Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah condemned the terrorist acts in Saudi Arabia and voiced solidarity with Riyadh in the fight against all types of terrorism.
Sheikh Sabah said the GCC countries have rejected all kinds of terrorism and condemned all terrorist actions plotted and carried out in Saudi Arabia.
A suicide bomber last year injured a member of the Saudi Arabian royal family in charge of anti-terrorism efforts. The bombing took place when Prince Mohammed bin Nayef was receiving guests at a traditional Ramadan gathering at his house in Jeddah.
- Terrorism on agenda as GCC summit opens in Abu Dhabi (Lead) - Dec 07, 2010
- Kuwait emir accepts premier's resignation - Jul 01, 2012
- GCC leaders thank UAE for hosting summit - Dec 08, 2010
- End terrorism, says GCC as its summit concludes (Lead) - Dec 07, 2010
- UAE president greets leaders on Eid - Aug 19, 2012
- Kuwait's ruler appoints new prime minister - Dec 01, 2011
- Gulf Cooperation Council summit opens in Abu Dhabi - Dec 06, 2010
- World leaders condole Saudi prince's death - Jun 17, 2012
- Foreign ministers of Turkey, six Gulf nations meet - Jan 29, 2012
- Saudi Arabia, Bahrain hold security talks - Jul 10, 2012
- UAE leaders greet new Saudi crown prince - Jun 19, 2012
- Gulf foreign ministers meet to set GCC agenda (Lead) - Dec 06, 2010
- Abu Dhabi summit turning point for GCC - Dec 05, 2010
- World's heaviest book displayed in UAE - Aug 22, 2012
- UAE mourns death of Saudi crown prince - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: al ahmad, al jaber, amir of kuwait, emirates palace, gcc countries, gcc states, gulf cooperation council, jaber al sabah, khalifa bin zayed, kinds of terrorism, nayef, policy priority, president sheikh khalifa, saudi arabian royal family, sheikh khalifa bin zayed, sheikh sabah, terrorist acts, types of terrorism, uae president, united arab emirates