First Nano from Gujarat unit rolls out WednesdayJune 2nd, 2010 - 12:37 am ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, June 1 (IANS) From Singur in West Bengal to Sanand in Gujarat, it has been a long journey for Tata Motors’ Nano. The first of the world’s most inexpensive small car will roll out from its relocated new plant near Ahmedabad Wednesday.
Nineteen months after announcing relocation of the Nano plant from West Bengal to Gujarat, Tata Group Chairman Ratan Tata and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi will flag off nine Nano cars from its new location on a drive of some 12,000 km passing through 40 cities across 20 states.
The month-long drive across the country is expected to reassure customers that the vehicle is sturdy, amid concerns over its safety.
According to company sources, about 30,000 Nano cars manufactured at the TML facilities in Pune (Maharashtra) and Pantnagar (Uttaranchal) have hit the road so far.
It was Oct 7, 2008, that Ratan Tata announced in Gandhinagar his plan to shift the Nano plant from Singur to Sanand.
This followed the state government’s efforts to attract the Nano facility by allotting nearly 1,100 acres of land for the project, complete with space for a vendor’s park (ancilliary units).
This was in addition to a host of concessions given by the state government to the project.
The Nano cars from Gujarat enter commercial production this year as the state celebrates its golden jubilee.
- Nano's Sanand plant goes on stream (Lead) - Jun 02, 2010
- Tata Nano plant in Gujarat inaugurated - Jun 02, 2010
- Some day Tata Motors will have plant in Bengal: Ratan Tata (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Some day Tata Motors will have plant in Bengal: Ratan Tata - Aug 31, 2012
- Narender Modi inaugurates new manufacturing plant of Nano in Gujarat - Jun 02, 2010
- Ratan Tata regrets the company could not do Singur project - Aug 23, 2010
- Modi to visit Japan, meet Suzuki officials (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- West Bengal moves apex court on Singur land law - Aug 07, 2012
- 2007 accord on Tata's Singur plant land to be made public - May 26, 2011
- Mamata government tables Singur bill - Jun 14, 2011
- I believe Singur's farmers will win, says Mamata - Jun 22, 2012
- Tata Motors for status quo on Singur land (Lead) - Jun 24, 2011
- Bengal to acquire 400 acres at Singur to return to farmers - Jun 09, 2011
- Mamata game for joint venture with West Bengal in Singur - Nov 13, 2009
- Court scraps Singur land law, Mamata suffers setback (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
Tags: ahmedabad, ancilliary, chairman ratan tata, chief minister, company sources, gandhinagar, golden jubilee, group chairman, gujarat, long journey, nano, narendra modi, pantnagar, s park, singur, small car, tata group, tata motors, uttaranchal, west bengal