First ATM comes up in Himachal’s Lahaul valleySeptember 4th, 2010 - 5:56 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Sep 4 (IANS) The State Bank of India has opened its ATM in Himachal Pradesh’s Lahaul valley - the first ATM of any bank in the area, a bank official said Saturday.
“The ATM was installed at Keylong town (the headquarters of Lahaul and Spiti) Friday. It would be the bank’s second ATM in the district and the first in the Lahaul Valley,” SBI’s regional manager Satish Kumar Sood told IANS.
He said the bank’s second ATM is already operational at Kaza in the Spiti Valley, 188 km from Keylong.
Keylong, located at an altitude of 3,156 metres (10,354 feet), lies on the Manali-Leh National Highway-21, some 420 km from state capital Shimla.
The climatic conditions of entire Lahaul and Spiti district are harsh as much of the land falls under a cold desert where winter temperature plummets to as low as minus 25 degrees Celsius.
- Stuck since December, they await Himalayan road's reopening - May 24, 2011
- 'Summers for making money, winters for making merry' (Postcard from Lahaul and Spiti) - Nov 02, 2011
- Temperatures up, yet Himachal's Lahaul Valley snowbound - Apr 12, 2010
- Marooned in November snow in Himachal's Lahaul valley - Nov 16, 2009
- Rohtang Pass reopens after five months - May 25, 2011
- Eat, gamble, enjoy - this Himachal town is happily cut off! - Jan 03, 2011
- High-altitude Himachal lakes begin to freeze - Oct 27, 2010
- More snow in store for Shimla, Manali - Feb 11, 2012
- It's snowing Valentine's fun in Himachal - Feb 13, 2012
- Snow, rain continue in Himachal - Feb 14, 2012
- Rohtang Pass re-opens for traffic - Apr 14, 2010
- Leh floods dip foreign tourist footfalls in Himachal - Aug 18, 2010
- Tight security ahead of Gandhi's visit - Jun 25, 2010
- Manali-Leh road link may be used round-the-year - Jun 26, 2010
- Rohtang Pass to be re-opened for traffic this week - Apr 11, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,