Finnair’s Asian traffic continues to growNovember 13th, 2008 - 8:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 13 (IANS) Despite the global meltdown, Nordic carrier Finnair’s Asian traffic grew 18.1 percent compared to October of the previous year - though business travel declined, the airline said Thursday. The number of passengers carried on Finnair’s Asian flights in October was 124,289, for a load factor of 82.9 percent or 1.3 percentage points up, an airline statement said.
“Finnair increased its capacity and succeeded to fill the aircraft in a quiet market situation, but due to the world’s financial crisis the amount of business travel decreased,” the statement added.
The load factor of leisure travellers increased by 1.0 percentage points to 84.2 percent compared to the previous year, the airline said.
Overall, Finnair traffic increased 11.7 percent in October, while capacity was up 9.2 percent. This translated into a passenger load factor of 78.2 percent or 1.7 points higher than last year.
Totally, Finnair transported 751,916 passengers in October, 4.8 percent more than a year ago.
However, cargo traffic decreased by 4.5 percent in October in terms of cargo tonnes carried, the airline said.
Finnair Nov 1 completed 85 years of service, making it one of the world’s oldest continuously operating airlines. Founded under the name Aero in 1923, the airline’s first flight took place a year later when an aircraft flew 162 kg of mail to Estonian capital Tallinn from Helsinki’s Katajanokka aerodrome.
Now, with its modern fleet and direct flights, Finnair carries millions of passengers and tonnes of cargo to more than 120 destinations around the world.
- Finnair traffic grows 3 percent in February - Mar 13, 2011
- Finnair's March traffic up 11.6 percent - Apr 23, 2012
- Finnair's April traffic up 10 percent - May 08, 2012
- Pact with Kingfisher sees Finnair's Asia traffic look up - Sep 12, 2011
- Finnair's August passenger load factor up 3.9 percent - Sep 07, 2012
- Finnair serves seven more Indian cities in pact with Kingfisher - Aug 28, 2011
- Finnair's July traffic up 23.9 percent - Aug 16, 2011
- India demand spurs daily Delhi service by Finnair (Lead) - Sep 07, 2010
- Finnair's Asian traffic up seven percent in January - Feb 09, 2011
- Finnair to make Helsinki-Delhi operations a daily service - Nov 07, 2010
- Finnair's business class passengers grew last month - Jan 09, 2010
- Finnair to start daily Helsinki-Delhi service from January - Sep 07, 2010
- Finnair achieves 2.5 percent growth in 2010 - Jan 09, 2011
- Finnair upbeat about India operations, to add three flights - Nov 23, 2008
- India clocks second fastest air travel demand in June - Jul 28, 2011