Finnair starts service to western China city of ChongqingMay 17th, 2012 - 10:34 pm ICT by IANS
Helsinki, May 17 (IANS) In a bid to strengthen its presence in the growing Asian market nordic carrier Finnair has started a direct flight to western China city of Chongqing, official said.
“China is a key part of our Asia-Europe strategy. Western China is an important growth area, and the new route will strengthen our position in the growing Asian markets,” Finnair’s CEO Mika Vehvilainen.
“We believe Chongqing has the potential of developing into a hub for travel between western China and Europe, both for business and leisure travellers.”
The airline said that the new route launched last week was a logical next step in the carrier’s strategy of offering the shortest connections between Asia and Europe via Helsinki.
“Chinese companies and many western companies, especially in the electronics, automotive and chemical industries, are currently expanding their operations in Chongqing, and business travel and cargo prospects are promising,” the airline said in a statement.
Finnair is operating the service on Airbus A330 and A340 aircraft on the route, which takes eight and a half hours.
In addition to four flights per week to Chongqing, Finnair operates daily to Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong from Helsinki.
- Finnair sees India as key market for tourism, transit - Jun 07, 2012
- Finnair starts maiden cargo service to India - Sep 16, 2011
- Finnair begins direct flights to Singapore - May 31, 2011
- Finnair not averse to Kingfisher's direct flights to Helsinki - Sep 14, 2011
- Finnair focuses on Asian routes to cut emissions - Apr 06, 2012
- Finnair to make Helsinki-Delhi operations a daily service - Nov 07, 2010
- Pact with Kingfisher sees Finnair's Asia traffic look up - Sep 12, 2011
- Indian food artist to judge Finnair quality - Oct 22, 2011
- Finnair reports strong Asian growth - Jul 10, 2010
- Finnair to select passengers' ideas to improve quality - Nov 23, 2011
- Finnair serves seven more Indian cities in pact with Kingfisher - Aug 28, 2011
- Finnair introduces special facilities at 13 airports - Nov 05, 2011
- Finnair looking at Indian cities beyond New Delhi - Sep 09, 2010
- Finnair Cargo to launch India service - Aug 20, 2011
- Kingfisher Airlines, Finnair enhance frequent flyer cooperation - Mar 18, 2011
Tags: airbus a330, asia and europe, asia europe, asian market, asian markets, beijing, business travel, china city, chinese companies, chongqing, direct flight, europe strategy, finnair, half hours, helsinki, leisure travellers, mika, prospects, shanghai, western china