Finland better off within Eurozone: Finnish PMJuly 16th, 2012 - 2:54 pm ICT by IANS
Helsinki, July 16 (IANS) Finland is better off with a stable euro currency and the country remaining in the now 17-member single currency Eurozone, said Finnish Prime Minister Jyrki Katainen.
The collapse of the euro or Finland’s withdrawl from the Eurozone would in the end lead to significant cuts in Finland’s social and welfare budget and to higher taxes, Savon Sanomat newspaper quoted Katainen as saying Sunday.
He said he hoped the Finns would not have to experience the consequences of either a break-up of the euro or Finland leaving the Eurozone, Xinhua reported.
According to Finnish Broadcasting Company, Finnish President Sauli Niinisto also said Saturday that he did not believe Finland would leave the common euro currency.
Asked to comment on a poll last week which suggested that a majority of Finns had been increasingly critical of the eurozone in its present form, Niinisto said: “It is quite understandable that the situation causes concern. But I don’t believe that Finns just want to leave the euro.”
- Finnish professor charged with spying for Russia - Apr 14, 2012
- Greek referendum plan plunges financial markets into frenzy - Nov 02, 2011
- Finland expects tough loan collateral talks with Spain - Jul 06, 2012
- Recession possible in Finland: Official - Dec 16, 2011
- EU clinches deal on eurozone rescue package - May 10, 2010
- Finland embassy staff leaves Syria - Mar 20, 2012
- Finland's largest ever data leak uncovered - Nov 08, 2011
- Over 100 people trafficked into Finland - Sep 14, 2010
- Euro on brink of collapse: IMF - Apr 18, 2012
- Hindus criticize Helsinki for Roma repatriation - Nov 27, 2010
- Finnish business delegation to visit India October - Sep 20, 2011
- Moody's cuts outlook on Germany - Jul 24, 2012
- Nicolas Sarkozy vows to protect euro, Europe - Nov 04, 2011
- Finns dig into malai kofta and masala chicken - Apr 03, 2011
- Euro debt crisis spreads to healthy economies: Official - Nov 25, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,