Financial stability panel takes up Eurozone contingency planJune 14th, 2012 - 9:23 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, June 14 (IANS) A sub-committee of the Indian government’s Financial Stability Development Council (FSDC) Thursday discussed recent developments in the global economy, specifically in the Eurozone, the US and the consequences for India, the country’s central bank said.
The sub-committee meeting, chaired by Reserve Bank of India (RBI) governor D. Subbarao, also discussed concerns on slowing growth, persistent inflationary pressures, growing twin deficits and negative market perceptions, said a statement issued by the RBI after the meeting.
RBI deputy governor K.C. Chakrabarthy told reporters that a contingency plan on Eurozone was being worked. “A separate committee is working on that,” he said.
He indicated that Greece and Eurozone could find a mention in RBI’s statement on Monday.
He said contingency measures were in place but they can’t be made public.
“If it happens we have to face it,” Chakrabarthy said to queries what would happen if the Eurozone crisis deepens.
On rupee depreciation, he said it was stable for some days. He said the RBI would take all measures that are possible under its purview to arrest the depreciation of the rupee.
The meeting was attended by all four deputy governors of RBI, Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) chairman U.K. Sinha, Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDA) chairman J. Harinarayana, Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) chairman Yogesh Agarwal and other officials.
The concerns arising from the quantum of gold imports and their contribution to the current account deficit were also discussed.
The sub-committee deliberated on the potential risks to financial stability flagged in the financial stability report scheduled to be released on June 28.
- Apex finance panel agrees with RBI rate hike - Jul 27, 2011
- Mukherjee discusses setting up FSDC with regulators - Oct 12, 2010
- Pranab Mukherjee holds first FSDC meet - Dec 31, 2010
- Financial oversight body by December: Minister - Nov 23, 2010
- India's financial system still strong, says RBI deputy governor - Apr 26, 2012
- Pranab holds first financial council meeting - Dec 31, 2010
- RBI ticks off SBI chairman - Aug 27, 2012
- Lok Sabha passes bill to settle disputes between regulators - Aug 02, 2010
- RBI intervenes as rupee slides to new low (Roundup) - Dec 15, 2011
- 'India must cut subsidies, push reforms to defend rupee' - Jun 24, 2012
- Rangarajan for RBI intervention to check rupee fall - Nov 19, 2011
- Rupee hits new low for third straight session (Roundup) - Dec 14, 2011
- Bill to settle disputes between regulators introduced - Jul 27, 2010
- Rupee falls on IIP figures, impact of RBI action muted - May 11, 2012
- RBI to launch schemes for raising credit flow to northeast - May 20, 2011
Tags: bank of india, contingency measures, contingency plan, current account deficit, deputy governor, deputy governors, exchange board, financial stability, fsdc, global economy, gold imports, inflationary pressures, insurance regulatory and development authority, market perceptions, rbi governor, reserve bank of india, securities and exchange board of india, stability report, twin deficits, yogesh